Response of Spring Barley Cultivars to Ramularia Leaf Spot in Conditions of the Czech Republic
The fungus Ramularia collo-cygni is increasingly important as the causal agent of Ramularia leaf spot (RLS). The work aimed to identify gene resources suitable for developing new breeding lines of spring barley with improved resistance. We tested 144 spring barley cultivars at 3 locations in the Czech Republic over 3 years (2009–2011). Only minor and statistically insignificant differences were observed between the individual cultivars in reaction to RLS. No cultivars were observed to have resistance to Ramularia collo-cygni, but significant influence of location and year on the intensity of RLS infection in barley was observed.
Keywordscereal diseases Ramularia collo-cygni resistance
- Amelung, D., Sachs, E., Huss, H. 1999. Ramularia-Blattfleckenkrankheit der Gerste — eine neue Krankheit in Deutschland (Ramularia leaf spot in barley — a new disease in Germany). Getreidemagazin 99:47.Google Scholar
- Formayer, H., Huss, H., Kromb-Kolb, H. 2004. Influence of climatic factors on the formation of symptoms of Ramularia collo-cygni. In: Yahyaoui, A.H., Brader, L., Tekauz, A., Wallwork, H., Steffenson, B. (eds), Proc. of the Second Int. Workshop on Barley Leaf Blights. ICARDA, Aleppo, Syria, pp. 329–330.Google Scholar
- Leistrumaité, A., Liatukas, Ž. 2006. Resistance of spring barley cultivars to the new disease Ramularia leaf spot, caused by Ramularia collo-cygni. Agronomy Res. 4:251–255.Google Scholar
- Oxley, S.P., Havis, N.D. 2009. Understanding Ramularia collo-cygni in the past, present and future. In: Oxley, S., Brown, J., Foster, V., Havis, N. (eds), The 2nd European Ramularia Workshop — A new disease and challenge in barley production. Aspects of Applied Biol. 92:141–146.Google Scholar
- Pinnschmidt, H.O., Sindberg, S.A., Willas, J. 2006. Expression of resistance of barley varieties to Ramularia leaf spot and the status of the disease in Denmark. In: Koopman, B., Oxley, S., Schützendübel, A., von Tiedemann, A. (eds), Ramularia collo-cygni: A new disease and challenge in barley production. Proc. of the First European Ramularia Workshop, Göttingen, Germany, pp. 85–93.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.