QTL Detection of Internode Length and Its Component Index in Wheat Using Two Related RIL Populations
To comprehensively understand the genetic basis of plant height (PH), quantitative trait locus (QTL) analysis for internode lengths, internode component indices and plant height component index (PHCI) were firstly conducted in the present study. Two related F8:9 recombinant inbred line (RIL) populations comprising 485 and 229 lines were used. Two hundred and nine putative additive QTL for the eight traits were identified, 35 of which showed significance in at least three trials. Of these, at least 11 pairwise QTL were common to the two populations. PH components at the QTL level had different effects on PH, confirming our previous multivariate conditional analysis (Cui et al. 2011). Eleven major QTL that showed consistency in expression across environments should be of great value in the genetic improvement of PH in wheat. The results above will enhance the understanding of the genetic basis of PH in wheat.
Keywordswheat internode length internode component index plant height component index QTL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cui, F., Li, J., Ding, A.M., Zhao, C.H., Wang, L., Wang, X.Q., Li, S.S., Bao, Y.G., Li, X.F., Feng, D.S., Kong, L.R., Wang, H.G. 2011. Conditional QTL mapping for plant height with respect to the length of the spike and internode in two mapping populations of wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet. 122:1517–1536.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Huang, X.Q., Cloutier, S., Lycar, L., Radovanovic, N., Humphreys, D.G., Noll, J.S., Somers, D.J., Brown, P.D. 2006. Molecular detection of QTLs for agronomic and quality traits in a doubled haploid population derived from two Canadian wheats (Triticum aestivum L.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 113:753–766.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, Z.H., Anderson, J.A., Hu, J., Friesen, T.L., Rasmussen, J.B., Faris, J.D. 2005. A wheat intervarietal genetic linkage map based on microsatellite and target region amplified polymorphism markers and its utility for detecting quantitative trait loci. Theor. Appl. Genet. 111:782–794.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sourdille, P., Cadalen, T., Guyomarc’h, H., Snape, J.W., Perretant, M.R., Charmet, G., Boeuf, C., Bernard, S., Bernard, M. 2003. An update of the Courtot × Chinese Spring intervarietal molecular marker linkage map for the QTL detection of agronomic traits in wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106:530–538.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stanca, A.M., Jenkins, G., Hanson, P.R. 1979. Varietal responses in spring barley to natural and artificial lodging and to a growth regulator. J. Agric. Sci. (Cambridge) 93:440–456.Google Scholar