Rearrangements in neutron shell closures far from stability
- 14 Downloads
A survey of experimental results obtained at GANIL (Caen, Prance) on the study of the properties of very neutron-rich nuclei (Z = 6–20, A = 20–60) near the neutron drip line and resulting in an appearance of further evidence for the new magic number N = 16 is presented. Very recent data on mass measurements of neutron-rich nuclei at GANIL and some characteristics of binding energies in this region are discussed. Nuclear binding energies are very sensitive to the existence of nuclear shells and together with the measurements of instability of doubly magic nuclei 10He and 280 they provide information on changes in neutron shell closures of very neutron-rich isotopes. The behaviour of the two-neutron separation energies S2n derived from mass measurements gives a very clear evidence for the existence of the new shell closure N = 16 for Z = 9 and 10 appearing between 2s1/2 and ld3/2 orbitals. This fact, strongly supported by the instability of C, N and O isotopes with N > 16, confirms the magic character of N = 16 for the region from carbon up to neon while the shell closure at N = 20 tends to disappear for Z ≤ 13. Decay studies of these hardly accessible short-lived neutron-rich nuclei from oxygen to silicon using the in-beam γ-ray spectroscopy are also reported.
Keywordsexotic nuclei particle stability nuclear masses magic numbers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T.R. Werner et al., Phys. Lett. B335 (1994) 259; Nucl. Phys. A597 (1996) 327.Google Scholar
- 4.Z. Ren et al., Phys. Lett. B380 (1996) 241.Google Scholar
- 6.N.A. Orr et al., Phys. Lett. B258 (1991) 29.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Korsheninnikov et al., Phys. Lett. B326 (1994) 31.Google Scholar
- 10.A.N. Ostrowski et al., Phys. Lett. B338 (1994) 13.Google Scholar
- 11.O. Tarasov et al., Phys. Lett. B409 (1997) 64.Google Scholar
- 14.Z. Dlouhý et al., Contr. to RNB2000, 3–8 April 2000, Divonne (Prance).Google Scholar
- 15.A. Ozawa et al., Contr. to RNB2000, 3–8 April 2000, Divonne (France); A. Ozawa et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 84 (2000) 5493.Google Scholar
- 17.T. Glasmacher et al., Phys. Lett. B395 (1997) 163.Google Scholar
- 21.H. Sakurai et al., Phys. Lett. B448 (1999) 180.Google Scholar
- 24.A. Gillibert et al., Phys. Lett. B192 (1987) 39.Google Scholar