Effect of Photoperiod on Growth and Feed Conversion of Juvenile Wild Carp, Cyprinus Carpio
Because of the effect of photoperiod on physiological and biochemical processes in fish, this study aimed to evaluate the effect of manipulated photoperiod on growth, feed conversion and survival of wild carp, Cyprinus carpio. Fish received six photoperiod regimes (light:dark cycle) including: natural photoperiod (control), 24L:0D, 16L:8D, 12L:12D, 8L:16D and 0L:24D by the three replications. Regulated photoperiods as a 16L:8D or 12L:12D light/dark cycle significantly improved growth rate and food conversion ratio of wild carp.
KeywordsPhotoperiod growth factors wild carp Cyprinus carpio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Danişman-Yagci, D., Yigit, M. (2009) Influence of increased photoperiods on growth, feed consumption and survival of juvenile mirror carp (Cyprinus carpio Linnaeus, 1758). J. Fish. Sciences. com. 3, 146–152.Google Scholar
- 5.Kryuchkov, V. I., Obukhov, D. K. (2006) Development of juvenile sterlet, Acipenser ruthenus L. reared under different light conditions. In: Sturgeon Pisciculture: Advancements and Outlooks. VNIRO, Moscow, pp. 27–29. (In Russian.)Google Scholar
- 6.Meske, C. (1982) Fütterung von Aalen in Dunkeln. Inform. Fischwirt. 29, 136–138.Google Scholar
- 7.Ponomarenko, V. V., Kryuchkov, V. I., Marshin, V. G. (1992) Effect of the light factor on the behavior, nervous system excitability, and growth rate of the ship. In: 8th Int. Sci Conf. on Fish Ecology, Physiology, Biochemistry, pp. 46–47.Google Scholar
- 9.Ruchin, A. B. (2001) Description of growth and energy metabolism of young carp (Cyprinus carpio) at different illumination. Zool. Zhurnal 80, 433–437.Google Scholar
- 12.Semenkova, T. B., Trenkler, I. V. (1993) Effects of photoperiod, epiphysectomy and pharmacological preparations on growth rate and metabolism in young sturgeons. In: Int. Symp. on Sturgeons: Abstr. Bull. Moscow, pp. 13–14.Google Scholar
- 15.Yamamoto, T., Shima, T., Furuita, H., Shiraishi, M., Sánchez-Vázquez, F. J., Tabata, M. (2001) Influence of decreasing water temperature and shortening of the light phase on macronutrient selfselection by rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss and common carp Cyprinus carpio. Fish. Sci. 67, 420–429.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.