Investigation of Toxin Content in Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii (Wołoszyńska) Seenaya and Subba Raju and Aphanizomenon ovalisporum (Forti) Strains Isolated from Shallow Lakes of Hungary
Cylindrospermopsin (CYN) is an alkaloid type cytotoxic metabolite produced by several cyanobacterial species, which caused human illnesses. The occurrence of CYN has been mostly associated with tropical and subtropical cyanobacteria, but recently it is appearing in several countries, all over the world. We analyzed CYN concentration and polyketide synthase/peptide synthetase (PKS/PS) genes, important parts of the gene cluster responsible for the CYN biosynthesis, in 14 isolated/collected Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii and Aphanizomenon ovalisporum strains originated mostly from Hungary. CYN and PKS /PS genes were detected in Aphanizomenon ovalisporum strains isolated from Spain (of our isolation) and isolated in Israel (ILC-164), but the Hungarian isolate from the hyposaline Lake Szelidi had a lack of production capacity. In the Hungarian samples of C. raciborskii, we found no CYN and PKS/PS genes content comparing to CYN producer C. raciborskii AQS originated from Australia.
KeywordsAphanizomenon ovalsiporum Cylindrospermopsin Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii PKS/PS gene
capillary electrophoresis-micellar electrokinetic chromatography
polyketide synthase/peptide synthetase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Carmichael, W. W. (1994) The toxins of Cyanobacteria. Scientific American, January 64–72.Google Scholar
- 5.Hawkins, P. R., Runnegar, M. T. C., Jackson, A. R. B., Falconer, I. R. (1985) Severe hepatotoxicity caused by tropical cyanobacterium (blue-green alga) Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii (Woloszynska) Seenayya et Subba Raju isolated from a domestic water supply reservoir. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 50, 1292–1295.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Komarek, J., Komarkova, J. (2003) Phenotype diversity of the cyanoprocaryotic genus Cylindrospermopsis (Nostocales). Czech Phycol. 3, 1–30.Google Scholar
- 9.Padisák, J. (1997) Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii (Woloszynska) Seenayya et Subba Raju, an expanding, highly adaptive cyanobacterium: worldwide distribution and review of its ecology. Arch. Hydrobiol./Suppl. 107, 563–593.Google Scholar
- 10.Schmidt, A., Fehér, G., Boros, E., Vörös, L. (2007) A Szelidi-tó szalinitásának és fitoplanktonjának változásai. Hidrol. Közl. 87, 112–114. (In Hungarian.)Google Scholar
- 13.Vasas, G., Gáspár, A., Surányi, G., Batta, G., Gyémánt, G., M.-Hamvas, M., Máthé, C., Grigorszky, I., Molnár, E., Borbély, G. (2002) Capillary electrophoretic assay and purification of cylindrospermopsin, a cyanobacterial toxin from Aphanizomenon ovalisporum by plant test (Blue-Green Sinapis Test). Anal. Biochem. 302, 95–103.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.