Changes of Antioxidant Enzyme Activities and Isoenzyme Profiles During In Vitro Shoot Formation in Saffron (Crocus Sativus L.)
Among the different concentrations of Thidiazuron (TDZ) and between the two media Gamborg (B5) and Murashige and Skoog (MS), the highest frequency of shoot formation could be seen in the MS medium with TDZ concentration of 4.54 μM. Among the different concentrations of Naphtalene acetic acid (NAA) and Benzyl adenine (BA) in the two aforementioned media, the maximum proliferation and rooting of saffron shoots were obtained in a B5 medium containing 2.22 μM NAA and 2.68 μM BA. Peroxidase (POD), catalase (CAT), superoxide dismutase (SOD), esterase (EST) and polyphenoloxidase (PPO) measurements proved that all the enzymes had a similar pattern of changes, according to which their concentrations increased in the first stages of development and then decreased. The same pattern was observed for polyphenoloxidase in a B5 medium while in the MS medium a reverse pattern was observed. The enzyme concentration decreased and then increased during shoot formation. The results show the principal role of antioxidant enzymes in the complicated process of organogenesis.
KeywordsCrocus sativus L. saffron shoot formation antioxidative enzyme protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bagheri, A., Vesal, S. R. (2006) Genetics, sterility, propagation and in vitro production of secondary metabolites. In: M. Kafi, A. Koocheki, M. H., Rashed, M. Nassiri (eds) Saffron (Crocus sativus L.): Production and Processing, Science Publishers, United States of America, pp. 111–137.Google Scholar
- 5.Bakalova, S., Nikolova, A., Nedeva, D. (2004) Isoenzyme profiles of peroxidase, catalase and superoxide dismutase as affected by dehydration stress and ABA during germination of wheat seeds. Bulg. J. Pl. Phys. 30, 64–77.Google Scholar
- 6.Balen, B., Krsnik-Rasol, M., Zadro, I., Simeon-Rudolf, V. (2004) Esterase activity and isoenzymes in relation to morphogenesis in Mammillaria gracillis Pfeiff Tissue culture. Act. Bot. Croat. 63, 83–91.Google Scholar
- 12.Genkov, T., Ivanova, I. (1995) Effect of cytokinin-active phenylurea derivatives on shoot multiplication, peroxidase and superoxide dismutase activities of in vitro cultured carnation. Bulg. J. of Plant Physiol. 21, 73–83.Google Scholar
- 20.Laemmli, U. K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680–685.Google Scholar
- 21.Lindsay, E. H., Northcote, D. H. (1975) Quantitative measurement of the course of bean callus differentiation. J. Cell Sci. 17, 11–26.Google Scholar
- 23.Mok, M. C., Mok, D., Turner, J. (1987) Biological and biochemical effects of cytokinin-active phenylurea derivatives in tissue culture systems. In: Chemical Regulation in tissue culture: An over. Hort. Sci. 22, 1194–1197.Google Scholar
- 26.Rashed-Mohassel, M. H. (2006) Saffron botany. In: M. Kafi, A. Koocheki, M. H. Rashed, M. Nassiri (eds) Saffron (Crocus sativus L.): Production and Processing, Science Publishers, pp. 13–38.Google Scholar
- 28.Shi, X. L., Han, H. P., Shi, W. L., Li, Y. X. (2006) NaCl and TDZ are two key factors for the improvement of in vitro regeneration rate of Salicornia europaea L. J. Int. Pl. Boil. 48, 1185–1189.Google Scholar
- 31.Todor, G., Iordanka, I. (1995) Effect of cytokinin-active phenylurea derivatives on shoot multiplication, peroxidase and superoxide dismutase activities of in vitro cultured carnation. Bulg. J. Plant Phys. 21, 73–83.Google Scholar
- 33.Wendel, J. F., Weeden, N. F. (1990) Visualization and interpretation of plant isozymes. In: D. E. Soltis, P. S. Soltis (eds), Isozymes in Plant Biology, Dioscorides Press, Portland, OR, pp. 5–45.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.