Short-Term Thyroxine Administration Leads to Lipid Peroxidation in Renal and Testicular Tissues of Rats with Hypothyroidism
Thyroid dysfunction brings about pathological changes in different organs of the body. The aim of the present study was to examine how experimental hypothyroidism and additional short-term high-dose thyroxine administration (one-week) affected lipid peroxidation in renal and testicular tissues of rats. The study was carried out on 30 male Spraque-Dawley rats. The experimental animals were divided into 3 groups as control, hypothyroidism and hypothyroidism + thyroxine administration. Both malondialdehyde (MDA) and glutathione (GSH) levels were lower in renal and testicular tissues of the hypothyroidism group than the control and hypothyroidism + thyroxine administration groups and the levels in hypothyroidism + thyroxine administration group were higher than those in the control and hypothyroidism groups (p < 0.001). Results of the study demonstrate that hypothyroidism reduced oxidant stress in kidney and testis tissues, but short-term, high-dose thyroxine administration in addition to hypothyroidism increased oxidant stress in the same tissues of rats.
KeywordsHypothyroidism thyroxine administration oxidant stress rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Berzinska-Slebodzinska, E. (2001) Fever induced oxidative stress: the effect of thyroid status and the 5’-monodeiodinase activity, protective role of selenium and vitamin E. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 52, 275–284.Google Scholar
- 9.Fernandez, V., Barrientos, X., Kipreos, K., Valenzuela, A., Videla, L. A. (1985) Superoxide radical generation, NADPH oxidase activity, and cytochrome P-450 content of rat liver microsomal fractions in an experimental hyperthyroid state: relation to lipid peroxidation. Endocrinology 117, 496–501.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gredilla, R., Lopez- Torres, M., Portero- Otin, M., Pamplona, R., Barja, G. (2001) Influence of hyperand hypothyroidism on lipid peroxidation, unsaturation of phospholipids, glutathione system and oxidative damage to nuclear and mitochondrial DNA in mice skeletal muscle. Mol. Cell Biochem. 221, 41–48.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Mogulkoc, R., Canpolat, L., Baltac°, A. K., Y°lmaz, B., Kelestimur, H. (1999) Histological examination of various tissues in propylthiouracil and thyroidectomy-induced hypothyroidism in the rat. Med. Sci. Res. 27, 801–805.Google Scholar
- 23.Ross, A. D., Varghese, G., Oporto, B., Carmichael, F. J., Israel, Y. (1995) Effect of propylthiouracil treatment on NADPH-cytochrome P450 reductase levels, oxygen consumption and hydroxyl radical formation in liver microsomes from rats fed ethanol or acetone chronically. Biochem. Pharmacol. 49, 979–989.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Shinohara, R., Mano, T., Nagasaka, A., Hayashi, R., Uchimura, K., Nakano, I., Watanabe, F., Tsugawa, T., Makino, M., Kakizawa, H., Nagata, M., Iwase, K., Ishizuki, Y., Itoh, M. (2000) Lipid peroxidation levels in rat cardiac muscle are affected by age and thyroid status. J. Endocrinol. 164, 97–102.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.