The Testis Histology of Artificially Maturated European Eel (Anguilla anguilla L.) at the end of Sexual Maturation, and Spermatozoa Ultrastructure in Freshwater Rearing
The artificial induction of sexual maturation of European eel males was carried out by using weekly hCG administrations. Histological pictures showed that the testis tissues developed and regressed naturally and no pathological changes took place under the conditions of artificial rearing in freshwater. According to light and electron microscopic investigations the morphology and motility of the spermatozoa of males kept in freshwater proved to be similar to those in seawater. The authors suppose that freshwater rearing of males is not a barrier factor in the artificial propagation of European eels.
KeywordsSexual maturation European eel spermatozoa
degenerated spermatozoa and spermatids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boëtius, I., Boëtius, J. (1967) Studies in the European Eel, Anguilla anguilla (L.). Experimental induction of the male sexual cycle, its relation to temperature and other factors. Medd. Dan. Fisk. Havunders. 4, 339–405.Google Scholar
- 2.Colombo, G., Grandi, G., Romeo, A., Giovanni, G., Pelizzola, D., Catozzi, L., Piffanelli, A. (1987) Testis cytological structure, plasma sex steroids, and gonad cytosol free steroid receptors of heterologous gonadotropin (hCG)-stimulated silver eel, Anguilla anguilla L. Gen. Comp. Endocrin. 65, 167–178.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Dollerup, J., Graver, C. M. (1985) Repeated induction of testicular maturation and spermiation, alternating with periods of feeding and growth in silver eels, Anguilla anguilla (L.). Dana 4, 19–39.Google Scholar
- 4.Gibbons, B. H., Gibbons, I. R., Bacceti, B. (1983) Structure and motility of the 9 + 0 flagellum of eel spermatozoa. J. Submicr. Cytol. 15, 15–20.Google Scholar
- 5.Hibiya, T. (1982) An Atlas of Fish Histology. Kodansha, Tokyo, Gustav-Fischer-Verlag, New York, Stuttgart.Google Scholar
- 6.Okamura, A., Zhang, H., Yamada, Y., Tanaka, S., Horie, N., Mikawa, N., Utoh, T., Oka, H. P. (2000) Re-examination of the spermatozoal ultrastructure of eels: observations of the external morphology of spermatozoa in three species. J. Fish Biol. 57, 161–169.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.