Influence of Water Deficit on Photosynthetic Activity, Dry Matter Partitioning and Grain Yield of Different Durum and Bread Wheat Genotypes
We aimed to study the influence of soil water deficit on gas exchange parameters, dry matter partitioning in leaves, stem and spike and grain yield of durum (Triticum durum Desf.) and bread (Triticum aestivum L.) wheat genotypes in the 2013–2014 and 2014–2015 growing seasons. Water stress caused reduction of stomatal conductance, photosynthesis rate, transpiration rate, an increase of intercellular CO2 concentration. Photosynthesis rate positively correlated with growth rate of genotypes. Drought stress caused adaptive changes in dry matter partitioning between leaves, stem and spike of wheat genotypes. Stem dry mass increased until kernel ripening. Drought stress accelerated dry mass reduction in leaves and stem. High growth rate of spike dry mass was revealed in genotypes with late heading time. Spike dry mass positively correlated with photosynthesis rate and grain yield. Generally, bread wheat is more productive and tolerant to drought stress than durum wheat.
Keywordsdry mass gas exchange grain yield water deficit wheat
intercellular CO2 concentration
crop growth rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allahverdiyev, T.I., Talai, J.M., Huseynova, I.M., Aliyev, J.A. 2015. Effect of drought stress on some physiological parameters, yield and yield components of durum (Triticum durum Desf.) and bread (Triticum aestivum L.) wheat genotypes. Ekin J. of Crop Breeding and Genetics 1:50–62.Google Scholar
- Dahal, K., Knowles, V.L., Plaxton, W.C., Hüner, N.P.A. 2014. Enhancement of photosynthetic performance, water use efficiency and grain yield during long-term growth under elevated CO2 in wheat and rye is growth temperature and cultivar dependent. Environ. Exp. Bot. 106:207–220.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dulai, S., Molnar, I., Pronay, J., Csernak, A., Tarnai, R., Molnar-Lang, M. 2006. Effect of drought on photosynthetic parameters and heat stability of PSII in wheat and Aegilops species originated from dry habitats. Acta Biologica Szegediensis 50:11–17.Google Scholar
- Griffith, S. 1992. Changes in post-anthesis assimilates in stem and spike components of Italian Ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.). I Water soluble carbohydrates. Ann. Bot. 69:243–248.Google Scholar
- Guoth, A., Tari, I., Galle, A., Csizsar, J., Horvath, F., Pecsvaradi, A., Cseuz, L., Erdei, L. 2009. Chlorophyll a flourescence induction parameters of flag leaves characterizes genotypes and not the drought tolerance of wheat during grain filling under water deficit. Acta Biologica Szegediensis 53:1–7.Google Scholar
- Hunt, R. 1978. Plant growth analysis. In: Arnold, E. (ed.), Studies in Biology. London, UK. 96:26–38.Google Scholar
- Ma, S.C., Duan, A.W., Wang, R., Guan, Z.M., Yang, S.J., Ma, S.T., Shao, Y. 2015. Root-sourced signal and photosynthetic traits dry matter accumulation and remobilization, and yield stability in winter wheat as affected by regulated deficit irrigation. Agricult. Water Management 148:123–129.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mekliche, A., Hanifi, M.L., Aidaoui, A., Gate, Ph., Bouthier, A., Monneveux, Ph. 2015. Grain yield and its components study and their association with normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI) under terminal water deficit and well-irrigated conditions in wheat (Triticum durum Desf. and Triticum aestivum L.). African J. of Biotechnol. 14:2142–2148.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Miller, T. 1992. Growth stages of wheat: Identification and understanding improve crop management. Better Crops 76:12–17.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, M.P., Skovmand, B., Trethowan, R., Pfeiffer, W. 2000. Evaluating a conceptual model for drought tolerance. In: Ribaut, J.M., Poland, D. (eds), Molecular Approaches for Genetic Improvement of Cereals for Stable Production in Water-Limited Environments, CIMMYT. Mexico. pp. 49–53.Google Scholar
- Saeidi, M., Moradi, F., Jalali, H.S. 2012. The effect of post-anthesis source limitation treatments on wheat cultivars under water deficit. Aust. J. Crop Sci. 6:1179–1187.Google Scholar
- Sharkey, T.D., Laporate, M.M., Micallef, B.J., Shewmaker, C.K., Oakes, J.W. 1995. Sucrose synthesis, temperature, and plant yield. In: Mathis, P. (ed.), From Light to Biosphere. Kluwer Academic Publishers. Dordrecht, The Netherlands pp. 635–640.Google Scholar
- Siddique, M.R.B., Hamid, A., Islam, M.S. 1999. Drought stress effects on photosynthetic rate and leaf gad exchange of wheat. Bot. Bull. Acad. Sin. 40:141–145.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.