Hydrogen Sulfide is Involved in the Regulation of Ascorbate-glutathione Cycle by Exogenous ABA in Wheat Seedling Leaves under Osmotic Stress
This study investigated the role of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in the regulation of ascorbateglutathione (AsA-GSH) cycle by exogenous ABA in wheat leaves under osmotic stress. The results showed that osmotic stress significantly increased the activities of ascorbate peroxidase (APX), glutathione reductase (GR), monodehydroascorbate reductase (MDHAR) and dehydroascorbate reductase (DHAR), the ratio of reduced ascorbate to oxidized ascorbate (AsA/DHA) and reduced glutathione to oxidized glutathione (GSH/GSSG), the malondialdehyde content and electrolyte leakage, and the H2S content, compared to control. Exogenous ABA significantly increased above indicators under osmotic stress, compared to osmotic stress alone. Above activity increases except MDHAR activity were suppressed by application of H2S scavenger hypotaurine (HT) and synthesis inhibitor aminooxyacetic acid (AOA). Meanwhile, exogenous ABA significantly decreased malondialdehyde content and electrolyte leakage induced by osmotic stress. Application of HT and AOA reversed above effects of application of exogenous ABA. Application of NaHS can reversed above effects of HT and AOA. Our results suggested that H2S induced by exogenous ABA is a signal that leads to the up-regulation of AsA-GSH cycle.
Keywordspolyethylene glycol sodium hydrosulfide oxidative damage Triticum aestivum abscisic acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christou, A., Manganaris, G.A., Papadopoulos, I., Fotopoulos, V. 2013. Hydrogen sulfide induces systemic tolerance to salinity and non-ionic osmotic stress in strawberry plants through modification of reactive species biosynthesis and transcriptional regulation of multiple defence pathways. J. Exp. Bot. 64:1953– 1966.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, J., Hou, Z., Zhao, F., Liu, X. 2011. Hydrogen sulfide mediates ABA-induced stomatal closure of Vicia faba L. Acta Bot. Boreal-Occident Sin. 31:298–304. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Miyake, C., Asada, K. 1992. Thylakoid-bound ascorbate peroxidase in spinach chloroplasts and photoreduction of its primary oxidation product monodehydroascorbate radicals in thylakoids. Plant Cell Physiol. 33:541– 553.Google Scholar
- Nakano, Y., Asada, K. 1981. Hydrogen peroxide is scavenged by ascorbate specific peroxidase in spinach chloroplasts. Plant Cell Physiol. 22:867–880.Google Scholar
- Wang, L., Hou, Z., Hou, L., Zhao, F., Liu, X. 2012. H2S induced by H2O2 mediates drought-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis thaliana. Chin. Bull. Bot. 47:217–225. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.