Sodiumnitroprusside Stimulated Production of Tropane Alkaloids and Antioxidant Enzymes Activity in Hairy Root Culture of Hyoscyamus Reticulatus L.
- 3 Downloads
Hyoscyamus reticulatus L. is a herbaceous biennial belonging to the solanaceae family. Hyoscyamine and scopolamine as main tropane alkaloids accumulated in henbane are widely used in medicine to treat diseases such as parkinson’s or to calm schizoid patients. Hairy roots media manipulation which uses elicitors to activate defense mechanisms is one of the main strategies for inducing secondary metabolism as well as increasing the production of valuable metabolites. Cotyledon-derived hairy root cultures were transformed by Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Sodium nitroprusside (SNP), a nitric oxide donor), was used in various concentrations (0, 50, 100, 200 and 300 uM) and exposure times (24 and 48 h). Treatment with SNP led to a significant reduction in fresh and dry weight of hairy roots, compared to control cultures. ANOVA results showed that elicitation of hairy root cultures with SNP at different concentrations and exposure times significantly affected the activity of as antioxidant enzymes such as catalase (CAT), per-oxidase (POD) and ascorbate peroxidase (APX). The highest hyoscyamine and scopolamine production (about 1.2-fold and 1.5-fold increases over the control) was observed at 50 and 100 uM SNP at 48 and 24 hours of exposure time, respectively. This is the first report of SNP elicitation effects on the production of tropane alkaloids in hairy root cultures.
KeywordsElicitation hairy root Hyoscyamus reticulatus L. nitric oxide tropane alkaloids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Amdoun, R., Khelifi, L., Khelifi-Slaoui, M., Amroune, S., Benyoussef, E. H., Vu Thi, D., Assaf-Ducrocq, C., Gontier, E. (2009) Influence of minerals and elicitation on Datlira stramonium L. tropane alkaloid production: modelization of the /ra vz/ro biochemical response. Plant Sci. 177, 81–87.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Beligni, M. V., Lamattina, L. (1999) Nitric oxide protects against cellular damage produced by methylviologen herbicides in potato plants. J. Biol. Chem. 3, 199–208.Google Scholar
- 15.Esfandiari, E., Mahboob, S. A., Shekari, F. (2008) Destructive effect of active oxygen species, plant defence mechanisms and its necessary 10*. Agro Plant Breed Cong Iran. 1–22.Google Scholar
- 16.Fadzillah, N. M., Yusuf N., Mahmood, M. (2006) Paraquat (Methyl viologen) toxicity in centella asiatica callus cultures. Pertanika J. Trop. Agric. Sci. 29, 57–66.Google Scholar
- 20.Hayat, S., Mori, M., Pichtel, J., Ahmad, A. (2010) Nitric oxide in plant physiology. Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- 27.Nakano, Y., Asada, K. (1981) Hydrogen peroxide is scavenged by ascorbate-specific peroxidase in spinach chloroplasts. Plant Cell Physiol. 22, 867–880.Google Scholar
- 29.Nasibi, F., Manochehri Kalantari, K., Khodashenas, M. (2010) Effect of sodium nitroprusside (SNP) on some biochemical characteristics of tomato seedlings (Lycopersicum esculentum) under drought stress. J. Agri. Sci. Nature Res. 16, 2–16.Google Scholar
- 34.Parsa, M., Garoosi, G. A., Haddad, R. (2013) Cloning and study the bioinfomatic trait of tropinone reductase-II (TR II) gene from Hyoscyamus niger. J. Cell Tissu 3, 307–318.Google Scholar
- 37.Tripathi, L., Tripathi, J. N. (2003) Role of biotechnology in medicinal plants. Tropical J. Pharm. Res. 2, 243–253.Google Scholar
- 39.Wang, J. W., Zheng, L. R., Wu, J. Y., Tan., R. X. (2006) Involvement of nitric oxide in oxidative burst, phenylalanine ammonia-lyase activation and Taxol production induced by low-energy ultrasound in Taxusyunnanensis cell suspension cultures. ’Nitric Oxide-Biol. Ch. 15, 351–358.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.