Spontaneous pneumothorax developed in patients with bronchiolitis obliterans after unrelated hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: case report and review of the literature
- 80 Downloads
Spontaneous pneumothorax following unrelated hematopoietic stem cell transplantation developed in our 2 patients with bronchiolitis obliterans. Bronchiolitis obliterans is a form of obstructive airway disease and is considered a manifestation of chronic graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). Both of the patients were the recipients of marrow from HLA-matched unrelated donors after a preparative regimen with total body irradiation. Chronic GVHD after transplantation is a common feature in these cases. In contrast to other patients with pneumothorax described in the literature, our patients did not develop bullae.We describe a pneumothorax secondary to bronchiolitis obliterans that complicated the posttransplantation course.
Key wordsPneumothorax Bronchiolitis obliterans Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Lange W. Uber eine eigentumliche Erkrankung der kleinen Bronchien und Bronchiolen. Dtsch Arch Klin Med. 1901;70:342–364.Google Scholar
- 13.Newball HH, Brahim SA. Chronic obstructive airway disease in patients with Sjögren’s syndrome. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1977;115: 295–304.Google Scholar
- 14.Geddes DM,Corrin B, Brewerton DA, Davies RJ,Turner-Warwick M. Progressive airway obliteration and its association with rheumatoid disease. Q J Med. 1977;46:427–444.Google Scholar
- 15.Philit F, Wiesendanger T, Archimbaud E, Mornex JF, Brune J, Cordier JF. Post-transplant obstructive lung disease (“bronchiolitis obliterans”): a clinical comparative study of bone marrow and lung transplant patients. Eur Respir J. 1995;8:551–558.Google Scholar
- 16.Crawford SW, Clark JG. Bronchiolitis associated with bone marrow transplantation. Clin Chest Med. 1993;14:741–749.Google Scholar
- 20.Hill G, Helenglass G, Powles R, Perren T, Selby P. Mediastinal emphysema in marrow transplant recipients. Bone Marrow Transplant. 1987;2:315–320.Google Scholar
- 21.Matsumoto K,Yamauchi T, Ichikawa M, et al. Bronchiolitis obliterans in a patient with chronic graft-versus-host disease after bone marrow transplantation [in Japanese]. Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi. 1996;34:345–349.Google Scholar