Regulation of Neutrophil Functions by Proinflammatory Cytokines
- 364 Downloads
Various functions of mature human neutrophils are activated or potentiated by hematopoietic growth factors or proinflammatory cytokines such as granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor, tumor necrosis factor α, and interleukin 1β. The major signaling pathways activated in human neutrophils stimulated by proinflammatory cytokines include mitogen-activated protein kinases, Janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and nuclear factor κB. These signaling pathways are involved in cytokine-mediated regulation of neutrophil functions in a cytokine-specific manner.
Key wordsNeutrophil Cytokine Superoxide Migration Apoptosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yuo A, Kitagawa S, Ohsaka A, et al. Recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor as an activator of human granulocytes: potentiation of responses triggered by receptor-mediated agonists and stimulation of C3bi receptor expression and adherence. Blood. 1989;74:2144–2149.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Suzuki K, Hino M, Hato F, Tatsumi N, Kitagawa S. Cytokine-specific activation of distinct mitogen-activated protein kinase subtype cascades in human neutrophils stimulated by granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor, and tumor necrosis factor-α. Blood. 1999;93:341–349.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Hermans MH, Antonissen C, Ward AC, Mayen AE, Ploemacher RE, Touw IP. Sustained receptor activation and hyperproliferation in response to granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) in mice with a severe congenital neutropenia/acute myeloid leukemia-derived mutation in the G-CSF receptor gene. J Exp Med. 1999;189: 683–692.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Nakamae-Akahori M, Kato T, Masuda S, et al. Enhanced neutrophil motility by granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: the role of extracellular signal-regulated kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. Immunology. In press.Google Scholar
- 25.Sakamoto C, Suzuki K, Hato F, et al. Anti-apoptotic effect of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and cyclic AMP on human neutrophils: protein synthesis-dependent and protein synthesis-independent mechanisms and role of Janus kinase-STAT pathway. Int J Hematol. 2003;77:60–70.CrossRefGoogle Scholar