Angiostrongylus vasorum infection in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in southern Italy
Angiostrongylus vasorum (Nematoda: Angiostrongylidae) infection was detected at post-mortem examination in the pulmonary arteries and hearts of 34/102 (33,3%) of red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) from the Campania Region in southern Italy. Pathological changes consisted of granulomatous interstitial pneumonia caused by larvae and intravascular pulmonary adult nematodes. These changes confirm that angiostrongylosis infection in red foxes has a mainly chronic course, in which the infected host may disperse parasite larvae in the environment over its lifetime. Results suggest that the life cycle of A. vasorum is well established in the red fox in the Campania Region representing a potential infection risk for dogs.
KeywordsAngiostrongylus vasorum red fox Vulpes vulpes cardiopulmonary infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eleni C., Grifoni G., Di Egidio A., Meoli R., De Liberato C. 2014. Pathological findings of Angiostrongylus vasorum infection in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) from central Italy, with the first report of a disseminated infection in this host species. Parasitology Research, 113, 1247–1250. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-014-3793-0CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Magi M., Guardone L., Dell’Omodarme M., Prati M. C., Mignone W., Torracca B., Monni G., Macchioni F. 2009. Angiostrongylus vasorum in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) and badgers (Meles meles) from central and northern Italy. Hystrix, 20, 121–126Google Scholar
- Magi M., Guardone L., Prati M. C., Mignone W., Macchioni F. 2014. Extraintestinal nematodes of the red fox Vulpes vulpes in north-west Italy. Journal of Helminthology, 11, 1–6. DOI: 10.1017/S0022149X1400025XGoogle Scholar
- Segovia J. M., Torres J., Miquel J. 2004. Helminth parasites of the red fox (Vulpes vulpes L., 1758) in the Iberian Peninsula: an ecological study. Acta Parasitologica, 49, 67–79Google Scholar
- Tonsberg H., Saeed I., Koch J. 2004. Parasitologisk undersogelse af jagthund og rav i Odsherred. Dansk Veterinær Tidsskrift, 87, 14–18Google Scholar