Further studies on Toxascaris leonina (Linstow, 1902) (Ascaridida: Ascarididae) from Felis lynx (Linnaeus) and Panthera leo (Linnaeus) (Carnivora: Felidae)
Toxascaris leonina (Linstow, 1902) is a most common intestinal parasite of various animals in Felidae and Canidae. In the present paper, light and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) were used to study the morphological aspects of adult worms of this nematode in detail, based on the material collected from Panthera leo (Linnaeus) and Felis lynx (Linnaeus) (Carnivora: Felidae) in China. The results showed that there were some morphometric differences between the present material and the previous studies, including the body size, the width and length of cervical alae, the number of denticles on each lip and the tail length of the female. Previously unreported morphological features were also revealed. These supplementary morphological and morphometric data contributed to a more accurate identification of this worldwide distributed ascarid nematode.
KeywordsAscaridida morphology scanning electron microscopy taxonomy Toxascaris leonine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Awoke E., Bogale B., Chanie M. 2011. Intestinal nematode parasites of dogs: prevalence and associated risk factors. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 3, 374–378Google Scholar
- Barus V., Wiger R., Tenora F., Stanek M. 1979. Scanning electron microscopy of the lip denticles of Toxascaris leonina, Toxocara canis and T. cati (Nematoda). Vestnik Ceskoslovenske spolecnosti zoologicke, 43, 3–6Google Scholar
- Che L.-M., Luo W.-L., Liu W.-G., Mei Q.-L., Li Z., Zhao S.-Q., Jiao Y.-F. 1989. The morphological study of Toxascaris leonina. Ye Sheng Dong Wu, 52, 86–90Google Scholar
- Mozgovoi A.A. 1953. [Principles of nematodology. Vol. II. Ascaridata of animals and man and the diseases caused by them. Part II.] Moscow: Izdatel’stvo Akademii Nauk SSSR, 616 pp. (In Russian)Google Scholar
- Sheng Z.-H., Chang Q.-C., Tian S.-Q., Lou Y., Zheng X., Zhao Q., Wang C.-R. 2012. Characterization of Toxascaris leonina and Tococara canis from cougar (Panthera leo) and common wolf (Canis lupus) by nuclear ribosomal DNA sequences of internal transcribed spacers. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 6, 3545–3549Google Scholar
- Uni S., Takada S. 1981. Comparison of scanning electron microscopy on Baylisascaris transfuga, Toxascaris leonina and Ascaris lumbricoides (Nematoda: Ascaridida). Japanese Journal of Parasitology, 30, 187–195Google Scholar