New morphological data and first description of gravid female of Cucullanus bagre Petter, 1974 (Seuratoidea: Cucullanidae) from Bagre bagre (Linnaeus, 1766) (Siluriformes: Ariidae) off Brazil
Cucullanus bagre Petter, 1974 (Cucullanidae) is redescribed based on the examination of newly collected material and the revaluation of type specimens, using light and for the first time scanning electron microscopy. Parasite specimens were collected from the intestine of the coco sea catfish Bagre bagre (Linnaeus) (Ariidae) off the South Atlantic coast, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Detailed morphological analysis revealed the presence unpaired papilla just anterior to the cloacal protrusion in male, which was overlooked in the original description. Descriptions of the adult female and eggs are provided for the first time; these gravid specimens have the general morphometry quite similar to that of juveniles. Additionally, detailed description and illustration of sclerotized plates present on the oesophastome is provided. The far posterior location of the excretory pore with thickwalled excretory duct, the conspicuous protrusions present on both anal and cloacal regions and the number and arrangement of caudal papillae in males are considered to be important diagnostic features for C. bagre. All the specimens from type material were together in one vial and not separated in two vials as stated in the original description, making it impossible to determine which is the holotype, allotype or paratypes. This is the first report of C. bagre in Brazil, which expands its geographical distribution to South Atlantic waters.
KeywordsParasitic nematode marine fish South Atlantic Cucullanus catfish Bagre
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bharatha-Lakshmi B. 2000. A new parasite of the genus Cucullanus (Nematoda: Cucullanidae) from the fish Airus thalassinus. Boletín Chileno de Parasitologia, 55, 106–108Google Scholar
- Bilqees F.M., Fatima H. 1980. Marine fish nematodes of Pakistan. XII. Cucullanus quadrii, new species (Cucullanidae) from Arius serratus of Karachi coast. Pakistan Journal of Zoology, 12, 27–31Google Scholar
- Esch G., Bush A., Aho J. 1990. Parasite communities: patterns and process. Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 335 ppGoogle Scholar
- Figueiredo J.L., Menezes N.A. (Eds.). 1978. Manual de peixes marinhos do Sudeste do Brasil. II Teleostei (1). Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de Sao Paulo, São Paulo, BR, 110 pp.Google Scholar
- Petter A.J. 1974. Deux nouvelles speces de Cucullanidae parasites de poissons en Guyane. Bulletin du Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle de Paris, 3a serie, no 255, Zoologie, 177, 1459–1467Google Scholar
- Yamaguti S. 1954. Parasitic worms mainly from Celebes Part. 9. Nematodes of fishes. Acta Medicinae Okayama, 9, 122–133Google Scholar