Implementation of Elastic Prestack Reverse-Time Migration Using an Efficient Finite-Difference Scheme
Elastic reverse-time migration (RTM) can reflect the underground elastic information more comprehensively than single-component Pwave migration. One of the most important requirements of elastic RTM is to solve wave equations. The imaging accuracy and efficiency of RTM depends heavily on the algorithms used for solving wave equations. In this paper, we propose an efficient staggered-grid finite-difference (SFD) scheme based on a sampling approximation method with adaptive variable difference operator lengths to implement elastic prestack RTM. Numerical dispersion analysis and wavefield extrapolation results show that the sampling approximation SFD scheme has greater accuracy than the conventional Taylor-series expansion SFD scheme. We also test the elastic RTM algorithm on theoretical models and a field data set, respectively. Experiments presented demonstrate that elastic RTM using the proposed SFD scheme can generate better images than that using the Taylor-series expansion SFD scheme, particularly for PS images. FurH. thermore, the application of adaptive variable difference operator lengths can effectively improve the computational efficiency of elastic RTM.
Key wordsseismic imaging elastic wave wavefield extrapolation finite-difference
- Dong, L.G., Z.T. Ma, J.Z. Cao, H.Z. Wang, J.H. Gao, B. Lei, and S.Y. Xu (2000), A staggered-grid high-order difference method of one-order elastic wave equation, Chin. J. Geophys. 43, 411–419 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Pei, Z. (2004), Numerical modeling using staggered-grid high order finite difference of elastic wave equation on arbitrary relief surface, Oil Geophys. Prospect. 39, 629–634 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Whitmore, D. (1983), Iterative depth migration by backward time propagation. In: 53rd Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 382–385.Google Scholar
- Yan, H., Y. Liu, and H. Liu (2013), Elastic prestack reverse-time migration using the time-space domain high-order staggered-grid finite-difference method. In: 83rd Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4005–4009.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., and J. Sun (2009), Practical issues of reverse time migration: True amplitude gathers, noise removal and harmonic-source encoding, First Break 26, 19–25.Google Scholar