A systematic review and meta-analysis of weight status among adolescents in Cyprus: scrutinizing the data for the years 2000–2010
The aim of the present study was to evaluate by pooled and sensitivity analyses all available data on adolescent overweight/obesity in Cyprus.
A thorough literature search determined the studies to be examined using Cypriot adolescent samples aged 10–18 years old, with weight status in each sex classified according to the IOTF criteria, published between the years 2001–2011. Eight studies were retrieved, but three fulfilled the criteria for the sensitivity analyses.
The pooled prevalence of obesity was 9.8% in boys (n=6081). The pooled analysis classified 6.1% (n=3886) of girls as obese, whereas a higher prevalence was observed by the sensitivity analysis 6.4% (n = 1956, p ≤0.001). The boys’ prevalence of overweight was 19.3% and the girls’ 17.1%. Between sexes, boys demonstrated a higher prevalence of obesity and overweight (p ≤0.001 for both). The cumulative analyses demonstrated an increase in the prevalence of overweight/obesity until the year 2005 and thereafter a plateauing in boys and a slight decrease in girls in a non-linear manner.
Approximately 1/3 of adolescent boys and 1/4 of adolescent girls in Cyprus were overweight/obese during the previous decade.
Key WordsAbdominal obesity Adolescence BMI IOTF Obese Obesity Overweight Teenagers
- 6.Sawa SC, Chadjioannou M, Tornaritis MJ, 2007 Policy options for responding to the growing challenge from obesity: Cyprus national findings. Obes Rev 8S2: 37–45.Google Scholar
- 8.World Health Organization, 2002 Adolescent friendly health services. An agenda for change. [16 April 2014]: Available from: https://doi.org/whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2003/WHO_FCH_CAH_02.14.pdf
- 12.Wells GA, Shea B, O’Connell D, et al, The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of non-randomized studies in meta-analyses. [16 April 2014]: Available from: https://doi.org/www.ohri.ca/programs/clinicalepidemiology/oxford.htm
- 21.Christaki M, 2006 Correlation between childhood obesity and overweight with possible predisposing factors in a Cypriot sample of 11 year-olds. MSc Thesis, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece. https://doi.org/estia.hua.gr:8080/dspace/bitstream/123456789/98/l/Metaptychiaki21.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 22.Lavithi D, 2007 Assessment of the dietary habits of adolescents aged 12–17 years old from Cyprus. MSc Thesis, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece. https://doi.org/estia.hua.gr:8080/dspace/bitstream/123456789/368/l/lavithi.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 23.Photiou A, 2008 Somatic development and body composition of 6- to 18-year-old boys — The first Cypriot growth study. PhD Thesis, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary.Google Scholar
- 30.Mirkopoulou D, Grammatikopoulou MG, Gerothanasi K, Tagka A, Stylianou C, Hassapidou M, 2010 Metabolic indices, energy and macronutrient intake according to weight status in a rural sample of 17-year-old adolescents. Rural Remote Health 10: 1513.Google Scholar