Oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy for the treatment of a metastatic carcinoid tumor
- 39 Downloads
Carcinoid tumors are rare and often resistant to chemotherapy agents. Although a slow-growing tumor, patients can have significant morbidity associated with carcinoid syndrome and patients will often die as a result of tumor progression. We report the first case of a patient with a metastatic carcinoid tumor to respond to an oxaliplatin-based regimen. Further studies are needed to validate this observation.
Key WordsCarcinoid chromogranin A interferon alpha octreotide oxaliplatin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lubarsch O. Uber den primareren krebs des ileim nebst bemerkungen ueber das gleichzeitige vorkommen von krebs und tuberculos. Virchows Arch 1888;11:280–317.Google Scholar
- 2.Masson P. Carcinoids (argentaffin-cell tumors) and nerve hyperplasia of appendicular mucosa. Am J Pathol 1928;4:181–212.Google Scholar
- 7.Pazdur R. Food and Drug Administration [FDA Website] January 9, 2004. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/appletter/2004/21492sel-002ltr.pdf. Accessed July 22, 2005.Google Scholar
- 9.Machover D, Diaz-Rubio E, de Gramont A, et al. Two consecutive phase II studies of oxaliplatin (L-OHP) for treatment of patients with advanced colrectal carcinoma who were resistant to previous treatment with fluoropyramidnes. Annal Oncol 1996;7:95–98.Google Scholar
- 10.Levi F, Misset JL, Brienza S, et al. A chronopharmacologic phase II clinical trial with 5-fluorouracil, folinic acid, and oxaliplatin using an ambulatory multichannel programmable pump. High antitumor effectiveness against metastatic colorectal cancer. Cancer 1992;69(4):893–900.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Chollet P, Bensmaine A, Brienza S, et al. Single agent activity of oxaliplatin in heavily pretreated advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Annal Oncol 1996;7:1065–1070.Google Scholar
- 15.Andre T, Corrado B, Mounedji-Boudiaf L. Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment for colon cancer. N Engl J Med 1004;350:2343–2351.Google Scholar