Protection of myocardial mitochondria against oxidative damage by selenium-containing abzyme m4G3
- 33 Downloads
Selenium-containing abzyme (m4G3) was prepared and its protection of myocardial mitochondria against oxidative damage was studied using the swelling of mitochondria, quantity of lipid peroxidation products, and change in cytochrome-c oxidase activity as a measure of mitochondrial damage. The results showed that m4G3 could inhibit mitochondrial damage caused by the hypoxanthine-xanthine oxidase system in vitro. Electronic spin resonance (ESR) studies demonstrated that m4G3 could decrease the amount of free radicals generated in the damage system.
Index EntriesAbzyme m4G3 mitochondria oxidative damage xanthine oxidase/hypoxanthine system glutathione peroxidase enzyme mimics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Ball, E. G. (1939), J. Biol. Chem. 128, 51–67.Google Scholar
- 9.Fong, K. L., McCay, P. B., and Poyer, J. L. (1973), J. Biol. Chem. 248, 7792–7797.Google Scholar
- 12.Hunter, F. E., Scott, A., and Hoffsten, P. E. (1964), J. Biol. Chem. 239, 614–621.Google Scholar
- 13.Mak, I. T., Misra, H. P., and Weglicki, W. B. (1983), J. Biol. Chem. 258, 13,733–13,737.Google Scholar
- 14.Yonetani, T. (1961), J. Biol. Chem. 236, 1680–1689.Google Scholar