Pretreatment of switchgrass by ammonia fiber explosion (AFEX)
- 1.6k Downloads
The effects of ammonia fiber explosion (AFEX) pretreatment of switch grass using its major process variables are reported. The optimal pretreatment conditions for switchgrass were found to be near 100°C reactor temperature, and ammonia loading of 1:1 kg of ammonia: kg of dry matter with 80% moisture content (dry weight basis [dwb]) at 5 min residence time. Hydrolysis results of AFEX-treated and untreated samples showed 93% vs 16% glucan conversion, respectively. The ethanol yield of optimized AFEX-treated switchgrass was measured to be about 0.2 g ethanol/g dry biomass, which is 2.5 times more than that of the untreated sample.
Index EntriesAmmonia fiber explosion (AFEX) switchgrass enzymatic hydrolysis simultaneous saccharification and fermentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Moser, L. E. and Vogel, K. P. (1995), in An introduction to grassland agriculture. Forages, R. F. Barnes, D. A. Miller, and C. J. Nelson (eds.), Vol. 1, Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames. pp. 409–420.Google Scholar
- 2.Research brief #51 (2001), Switchgrass production for biomass. Center for Integrated Agricultural System (CIAS), http://www.cias.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/mt-search.cgi.Google Scholar
- 3.McLaughlin, S., et al. (1999), in Perspectives on new crops and new uses. J. Janick (ed.), ASHS Press, Alexandria, VA. pp. 282–299.Google Scholar
- 4.Walter, A. (2000), Industrial uses of biomass energy Rosillo-Calle, F., Bajay S. V., and Rothman H., eds., Taylor & Francis, pp. 200–253.Google Scholar
- 6.Dale, B. E., Weaver, J., and Byers, F. M. (1999), Extrusion processing for ammonia fiber explosion (AFEX), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 7–79, 1–11.Google Scholar
- 9.Teymouri F., Alizadeh H., Laureano-Pérez L., and Dale, B. Ammonia fiber explosion (AFEX) treatment of corn stover, Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 113–116, 951–963.Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, P. Y., Bolker, H. I., and Purves, C. B. (1967), Uranic Acid Ester Groups in Some Softwoods and Hardwoods, Tappi 50, 123–124.Google Scholar
- 11.O’Conner, J. J. (1972), Ammonia Explosion Pulping-New Fiber Separation Process, Tappi 55, 353–358.Google Scholar