Parameter identification of thermophilic anaerobic degradation of valerate
- 136 Downloads
The considered mathematical model of the decomposition of valerate presents three unknown kinetic parameters, two unknown stoichiometric coefficients, and three unknown initial concentrations for biomass. Applying a structural identifiability study, we concluded that it is necessary to perform simultaneous batch experiments with differenitial conditions for estimating these parameters. Four simultaneous batch experiments were conducted at 55°C, characterized by four different initial acetate concentrations. Product inhibition of valerate degradation by acetate was considered. Practical identification was done optimizing the sum of the multiple determination coefficients for all measured state viariables and for all experiments simultaneously. The estimated values of kinetic parameters and stoichiometric coefficients were characterized by the parameter correlation matrix, the confidence interval, and the student's t-test at 9% significance level with positive results except for the saturation constant, for which more eperiments for improving its identifiability should be conducted. In this article, we discussekinetic parameter estimation methods.
Index EntriesAnaerobic mathematical modeling identifiability parameter estimation optimization valerate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Batstone, D. J., Keller, J., Angelidaki, I., Kalyuzhny, S. V., Ravlostathis, S. G., Rozzi, A., Sanders, W. T. M., Siegrist, H., and Vavilin, V. A. (2002), Scientific and Technical Report No. 3, IWA, London.Google Scholar
- 8.McInterney, M. J. (1988), in Biology of Anaerobic Microorganisms, Zehnder, A. J. B. ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 373–415.Google Scholar
- 9.Schink, B. (1997), Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 6(2), 262–280.Google Scholar
- 10.Hill, D. T. and Cobb, S. A. (1993), Trans. ASAE 36, 879–885.Google Scholar
- 12.Ahring, B. K. and Westermann, P. (1988), Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 54(10), 2393–2397.Google Scholar
- 13.Pavlostathis, S. G. and Giraldo-Gómez, E. (1991), Water Sci. Technol. 24(8), 35–59.Google Scholar
- 16.Bourrel, S. V., Babary, J. P., Julien, S., Nihtila, M. T., and Dochain, D. (1998), SAMS 30, 289–309.Google Scholar
- 22.Scales, L. E. (1985), Introduction to Non-linear Optimization, Macmillan, London.Google Scholar
- 23.Sewell, G. (1988), The Numerical Solution of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Academic, London.Google Scholar