Effect of lignocellulosic degradation compounds from steam explosion pretreatment on ethanol fermentation by thermotolerant yeast Kluyveromyces marxianus
- 388 Downloads
The filtrate from steam-pretreated poplar was analyzed to identify degradation compounds. The effect of selected compounds on growth and ethanolic fermentation of the thermotolerant yeast strain Kluyveromyces marxianus CECT 10875 was tested. Several fermentations on glucose medium, containing individual inhibitory compounds found in the hydrolysate, were carried out. The degree of inhibition on yeast strain growth and ethanolic fermentation was determined. At concentrations found in the prehy-drolysate, none of the individual compounds significantly affected the fermentation. For all tested compounds, growth was inhibited to a lesser extent than ethanol production. Lower concentrations of catechol (0.96 g/L) and 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde (1.02 g/L) were required to produce the 50% reduction in cell mass in comparison to other tested compounds.
Index EntriesEthanol production Kluyveromyces marxianus poplar biomass inhibitors fermentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Mason, W.H. (1929), U.S. patent no. 1,655,618.Google Scholar
- 5.Higuchi, T. (1988), in Biomass Handbook, Hall, C.W. and Kitani, O., eds., Gordon & Breach, New York, NY pp. 470–474.Google Scholar
- 10.Carrasco, J.E., Martinez, J. M., Negro, M. J., Manero, J., Mazón, P., Sáez, F., and Martín, C. (1989), in 5th EC Conference on Biomass for Energy and Industry, vol. 2, Grassi, G., Gosse, G., and Dos Santos, G., eds., Elsevier, Essex, England, UK, pp. 38–44.Google Scholar
- 15.Nishikawa, N. K., Sutcliffe, R., and Saddler, J. N. (1988), Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 27, 549–552.Google Scholar
- 18.De Wulf, O., Thornat, P., Gaignage, P., Marlier, M., Paris, A., and Paquot, M. (1986), Biotechnol. Bioeng. Symp. 17, 606–616.Google Scholar
- 24.Palmqvist, E. (1998), PhD Thesis, Lund University, Sweden.Google Scholar
- 25.Morimoto, S., Hirashima, T., and Matutani, N. (1969), J. Ferment. Technol. 47, 486–490.Google Scholar
- 28.Russel, J. B. (1992), J. Appl. Bacteriol. 73, 363–370.Google Scholar