Analysis of the Efficiency of Future Powertrains for Individual Mobility
- 34 Downloads
A meaningful assessment of energy propulsion concepts for individual mobility must include the provision of energy as well as the entire vehicle. The Institute for Reciprocating Engines at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology has produced an analysis that also takes into account the real operating conditions.
Mobility and Energy Balance
The development of future powertrains for passenger cars will strongly be determined by the kind of future mobility. In the public discussion, passenger cars with internal combustion engines (ICE) have been identified as major contributors to the greenhouse effect due to their exhaust emissions (carbon dioxide CO2, CO, HC, NOx, particulates). Passenger cars are evaluated in standardized test cycles. In the EU, the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) is used, in which only the energy content necessary for vehicle propulsion is considered as usable energy. For the operation of a vehicle, additional energy is necessary to fulfil the requirements of...
KeywordsFuel Consumption Diesel Engine Internal Combustion Engine Engine Efficiency Reference Vehicle
- Donn, Chr.; Zulehner, W.; Ghebru, D.; Spicher, U.; Honzen, M: Experimental Heat Flux Analysis of an Automotive Diesel Engine in Steady-State Operation and During Warm-Up, SA E 2011-24-0067Google Scholar
- Schaub, G.; Turek, Th.: Energy Flows, Material Cycles and Global Development. Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-3-642-12735-9Google Scholar
- Span, R.; Eifler, W.: Nutzung der Motorabwärme durch Kreisprozesse. FVV Abschlussbericht zum Vorhaben Nr. 1009, Issue R553-2011Google Scholar
- Ogumi, Z.: State-of-the-Art of Rechargeable Batteries for Vehicles. SA E/JSA E 2011, Kyoto Keynote-Speech, September 2011Google Scholar
- Thiesen, L. P.: Strategie für das Elektrozeitalter, Elektromobile Vielfalt. Begleitheft zur Einführung des Opel Ampera, April 2011Google Scholar
- Fahl, U.; Blesl, M.; Thöne, E.: Energiewirtschaftliche Gesamtsituation. BWK Das Energie-Fachmagazin Bd. 63 (2011) No. 4Google Scholar
- http://www.kba.de, 2011