The Elusive Business Partner Controller
- 683 Downloads
The term „business partner“ is one of those terms that is broadly used, but possibly not fully understood. As it defines the new role of controllers, it is worth exploring the original meaning of the term „partner“. It may help to understand what managers expect from controllers and what controllers can expect for the future.
„The term business partner is not terribly useful. It seems to be a bit of a black hole“ Graham Colbert, Vice President Finance of AstraZeneca International Sales & Marketing is quoted in a 2009 report by CIMA on fi-nance business partners. „Nobody really knows what it means in practice“ (CIMA 2009, p.16). The whole report suggests the meaning of the term is ambiguous in practice. Of course, the use of words is a nuance of lan-guage, but sometimes it does help to go back to the original meaning of words to see if how we now use them actually makes sense. The term „business partner“ is perhaps in need of a dictionary search. The term „busi-ness“ is quite clear, so...
- Bromwich, M./Bhimani, A.: Management Accounting: retrospect and prospect, London 2010.Google Scholar
- CIMA: Improving decision-making in organizations - the opportunity to reinvent finance business partners, London 2009, http://www.cimaglobal.com/Thought-leadership/Research-topics/Development/Improving-decision-making-in-organisations/ (retrieved on 09.12.2013).
- CGMA: From insight to impact - unlocking opportunities in big data, London and New York 2013. A summary of the report is available here http://www.cgma.org/Resources/Reports/Pages/insight-to-impact-big-data.aspx (retrieved on 09.12.2013).
- Deloitte: Business Driven HR - Unlock the value of HR Business Partners, London 2011, https://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedStates/Local%20Assets/Documents/us_consulting_DeloitteUnlockingtheValueofHRBusinessPartners_071111.PDF (retrieved on 09.12.2013).
- Simons, P.: Business Intelligence, in: Financial Management, (2008a), September, p. 48–49.Google Scholar
- Simons, P.: Business Intelligence, in: Financial Management, (2008b), October, p. 44–47.Google Scholar
- Weber, J./Goretzki, L.: Die Zukunft des Business Partners - Ergebnisse einer empirischen Studie zur Zukunft des Control-lings, in: Zeitschrift für Controlling & Management, 56. Jg. (2012), Heft 1, S. 22–28. (ID: 2789000)Google Scholar
- Weber, J./Strauss, E./Spittler, S.: Wie Trends und Herausforderungen der IT die Controllingfunktion verändern, in: Zeitschrift für Controlling & Management, 56. Jg. (2012), Heft 2, S. 105–109. (ID: 3226970)Google Scholar