Wear-related failures of nitrocarburized steels: Some microstructural and morphological observations
- 115 Downloads
This paper describes some characteristic microstructural and morphological features of nitrocarburized tool and die steels after wear testing (standard pin-on-disk technique). The steels under study are used for the fabrication of dies and molds for metal working (cold- and hot-work) and plastic injection molding. Surface spalling by interface failure and/or intralayer fracture was observed for the two classes of tool steels (AISI D6 and a CrMoV steel), and uniform surface layer removal by micropolishing and microcutting was observed on the precipitation-hardened (PH) stainless steel.
Keywordsmorphological aspects nitrocarburized steels surface fracture wear failures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Bhushan and B.K. Gupta: Handbook of Tribology: Materials, Coatings and Surface Treatments, McGraw Hill, NY, 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Pye: Practical Nitriding and Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 2003.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Wahl: “Nitrocarburising for wear, corrosion and fatigue,” AM&P, 1996, Vol 149, pp. 37–38.Google Scholar
- 4.D.I. Pantelis, G. Pantazopoulos, P. Psyllaki, and J. Sideris: “Influence of Prior Plastic Deformation on Liquid Nitrocarburising of Tool Steels,” Proc. Int. Conf. Surface Modification Technologies XI (Paris, France), The Institute of Materials, London, 1998, pp. 539–45.Google Scholar
- 5.V. Singh: Heat Treatment of Metals, Standard Publishers Distributors, Delhi, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Schacherl, P.C.J. Graat, and E.J. Mittemeijer: “Modelling the Nitriding Kinetics of Iron-Chromium Alloys,” Mater. Sci. Forum, 2003, Vol 426–432, pp. 1047–52.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Pantazopoulos, T. Papazoglou, S. Antoniou, and J. Sideris: “Tribological Behaviour of a Liquid Nitrided Precipitation-Hardening (PH) Stainless Steel,” Mater. Sci. Forum, 2003, Vol 426–432, pp. 1053–58.Google Scholar
- 11.ASM Committee on Liquid Carburizing: “Liquid Nitriding,” Heat Treating, vol. 4, Metals Handbook, 9th ed., The American Society for Metals, Metals Park, OH, 1981, pp. 250–63.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Tier, A. Bloyce, T. Bell, and T. Strohaecker: “The Wear of Plasma Nitrided High Speed Steel,” Proc. Int. Conf. Surface Modification Technologies XI (Paris, France), The Institute of Materials, London, 1998, pp. 887–97.Google Scholar
- 13.CORRAX Manual, Uddeholm SA Steel Trading Company, Greece, 1997.Google Scholar