Analysis of transition state theory for condensation
- 33 Downloads
By statistically analyzing the condensation process and reconsidering the transition state theory for condensation and evaporation, we first presented a completed theoretical formula of the condensation coefficient. Namely, the unknown parameters contained within the transition state theoretical calculation of the condensation coefficient are determined. The condensation coefficients calculated from this formula agree well with those from molecular dynamics simulations. With this formula, the classical expression of the condensation flux developed from the gas kinetic theory can be used to predict the condensation flux.
Keywordscondensation transition state theory L-J fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Collier, J. G., Thome, J. R., Convective Boiling and Condensation, 3rd ed., Oxford: Clarendon, 1994, 433–434.Google Scholar
- 2.Schrage, R. W., A Theoretical Study of Interphase Mass Transfer, New York: Columbia Univ. Press, 1953.Google Scholar
- 3.Labuntsov, D. A., An analysis of intensive evaporation and condensation, High Temperature (Engl. Transl.), 1967, 5: 579.Google Scholar
- 4.Cammenga, H. K., Evaporation mechanisms of liquids, Current Topics in Materials Science 5 (ed. Kaldis, E.). Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1980, 335–446.Google Scholar
- 6.Steinfeld, J. I., Francisco, J. S., Hase, W. L., Chemical Kinetics and Dynamics, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1989, 308.Google Scholar
- 8.Fujikawa, S., Maerefat, M., A study of the molecular mechanism of vapour condensation, JSME International Journal, 1990, 33(4): 634.Google Scholar
- 9.Tsuruta, T., Nagayama, G., A molecular dynammics approach to interphase mass transfer between liquid and vapor, Heat Transfer and Transport Phenomena in Microscale (ed. Celata, G. P.), New York: Begell House, 2000, 432–439.Google Scholar
- 11.Matsumoto, M., Yasuoka, K., Kataoka, Y., Molecular mechanism of evaporation and condensation, Thermal Science & Engineering, 1995, 3(3): 27.Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, Z. J., Chen, M., Guo, Z. Y., Molecular dynamics study on evaporation and condensation, J. Xi’an Jiaotong Univ. (in Chinese), 2001, 35(11): 1126.Google Scholar