X-Ray Powder Diffraction Rietveld Characterization of Synthetic Aluminum-Substituted Goethite
Riet veld X-ray powder diffraction (XRD) analysis has been evaluated as a procedure for characterizing Al-substituted goethite according to the Rietveld scale factor, unit-cell parameters, and atom positional parameters. The study was conducted with three synthetic goethite samples for which the degree of Al substitution for Fe determined by chemical analysis was 8.0 ± 0.4, 12.0 ± 0.4, and 20.1 ± 0.4 mole %. The weight fractions of crystalline material (WFCM) in the specimens, determined from the Rietveld scale factors after correcting for adsorbed water and impurities, were 0.878 (esd = 0.014), 0.919 (0.014), and 0.965 (0.015), respectively. The Al mole % substitutions, inferred from the Rietveld cell parameters according to the method of Schulze (1984), were 10.4 ± 2.5, 16.5 ± 2.6, and 17.1 ± 2.6, respectively. The cause of the significant difference between the second value and the chemical analysis result is not known. The atom positional parameters did not differ significantly within the sample suite and agreed satisfactorily with literature values. The results have demonstrated the value of using Rietveld XRD analysis to determine simultaneously the WFCM and Al mole % substitutions, as well as to confirm the non-hydrogen atom positions.
Key WordsAluminum Crystallinity Goethite Rietveld refinement X-ray powder diffraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Forsyth, J. B., Hedley, I. G., and Johnson, C. E. (1968) The magnetic structure and hyperfine field of goethite (α-Fe-OOH): Proc. Phys. Soc. London, sect. C 1, 179–188.Google Scholar
- Golden, D. C. (1978) Physical and chemical properties of aluminum-substituted goethite: Ph.D. thesis, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, 74 pp. (University Microfilms Inc., 78/20029).Google Scholar
- Hill, R. J. and Howard, C. J. (1986) A computer program for Rietveld analysis of fixed wavelength X-ray and neutron powder diffraction patterns: Version LHPM1: Australian Atomic Energy Commission Research Establishment, Lucas Heights, New South Wales, Australia.Google Scholar
- Hubbell, J. H., McMaster, W. H., Del Grande, N. K., and Mallett, J. H. (1974) International Tables for X-ray Crystallography (1974), Vol. IV: Kynoch Press, Birmingham, United Kingdom, 47–70.Google Scholar
- March, A. (1932) Mathematische Theorie der Regelung nach der Korngestalt bei affiner Deformation: Zeit. Kristallogr. 81, 285–297.Google Scholar
- Megaw, H. D. (1973) Crystal Structures—A Working Approach: W. B. Sanders Co., Philadelphia, 356–359.Google Scholar