One-Step Synthesis of Alkyltrimethylammonium-Intercalated Magadiite
Cetyltrimethylammonium- and tetradecyltrimethylammonium-intercalated magadiites were prepared by direct syntheses, starting from sodium metasilicate (Na2O/SiO2 = 1.0) and nitric acid. Total substitution of sodium by cetyltrimethylammonium or tetradecyltrimethylammonium cations was not achieved in the range of surfactant: silicon molar ratios used in this study. When a phosphoniun-based surfactant replaces the ammonium surfactants in the same procedure, the result of the synthesis is a mixture of quartz and unmodified surfactant. If dodecylammonium bromide is used, an MCM-41 molecular sieve is obtained. The substitution of the silicon source by tetramethylammonium silicate or of nitric acid by hydrochloric, hydrofluoric, or acetic acids also yields MCM-41 molecular sieves, indicating that the formation of magadiite is greatly dependent on the presence of sodium cations and nitrate anions.
Key WordsAlkylammomium-Intercalated Magadiite Intercalation Magadiite Organo-Magadiite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Annehed, H., Fälth, L., and Lincoln, F.J. (1982) Crystal structure of synthetic makatite Na2Si4O8(OH)2.4H2O. Zeitschrift für Kristallographie, 159, 203–210.Google Scholar
- Araya, A. and Lowe, B.M. (1985) A partial determination of the stability fields of ferrierite and zeolites ZSM-5, ZSM-48, and NU-10 in the K2O-Al2O3-SiO2-H2N(C2)NH2 system. Journal of Chemical Research (S), 23, 192–193.Google Scholar
- Beck, J.S., Vartuli, J.C., Roth, W.J., Leonowicz, M.E., Kresge, C.T., Schmitt, K.D., Chu, C.T-W., Olson, D.H., Sheppard. E.W., McCullen, S.B., Higgins J.B., and Schlenker, J.L. (1992) A new family of mesoporous molecular sieves prepared with liquid crystal templates. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 114, 10834–10843.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beneke, K. and Lagaly, G. (1977) Kanemite-inner crystalline reactivity and relations to other sodium silicates. American Mineralogist, 62, 763–771.Google Scholar
- Beneke, K. and Lagaly, G. (1983) Kenyaite-synthesis and properties. American Mineralogist, 68, 818–826.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, G., and Michel, D. (1987) High Resolution Solid-State NMR of Silicates and Zeolites. John Wiley and Sons, Norwich, 485 pp.Google Scholar
- Flanigen, E.M., Khatami, H., and Szymanski, H.A. (1976) Structural analysis by IR spectroscopy. In Zeolite Chemistry and Catalysis, J.A. Rabo, ed., American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., 80–117.Google Scholar
- Inagaki, S., Fukushima, Y., and Kuroda, K. (1993) Synthesis of highly ordered mesoporous materials from a layered polysilicate. Journal of Chemical Society, Chemical Communications, 680–682.Google Scholar
- Whitehurst, D.D. (1992) Method to recover organic templates from freshly synthesized molecular sieves. U.S. Patent 5,143,879.Google Scholar