Kaolinite: NMF Intercalates
Bulk and size-fractionated kaolinites from seven localities in Australia as well as the Clay Minerals Society Source Clays Georgia KGa-1 and KGa-2 have been studied by X-ray diffraction (XRD), laser scattering, and electron microscopy in order to understand the variation of particle characteristics across a range of environments and to correlate specific particle characteristics with intercalation behavior. All kaolinites have been intercalated with N-methyl (NMF) after pretreatment with hydrazine hydrate, and the relative efficiency of intercalation has been determined using XRD. Intercalate yields of kaolinite: NMF are consistently low for bulk samples that have a high proportion of small-sized particles (i.e., <0.5 µm) and for biphased kaolinites with a high percentage (>60%) of low-defect phase. In general, particle size appears to be a more significant controlling factor than defect distribution in determining the relative yield of kaolinite: NMF intercalate.
Key WordsDefect distribution Intercalates Kaolinite N-methyl formamide Particle size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fernandez-Gonzalez, von M., Weiss, A., and Lagaly, G. (1976) Uber das verhalten nordwest-spanischer kaoline bei der bildung von einlagerungsverbindungen: Keramische Zeitschrift 2, 55–58.Google Scholar
- Fripiat, J. J. and van Olphen, H. (1979) Data Handbook for Clay Materials and other Non-metallic Minerals: Pergamon Press, New York, 346 pp.Google Scholar
- Tanner, C. B. and Jackson, M. L. (1947) Nomographs of sedimentation times for soil particles under gravity or centrifugal acceleration: Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. Proc. 11, 60–65.Google Scholar
- Theng, B. K. G. (1974) Chemistry of Clay-Organic Reactions: Hilger, London, p. 343.Google Scholar
- Wada, K. (1959a) Oriented penetration of ionic compounds between the silicate layers of halloysite: Amer. Mineral. 44, 153–165.Google Scholar
- Wada, K. (1959b) An interlayer complex of halloysite with ammonium chloride: Amer. Mineral. 44, 1237–1247.Google Scholar
- Wada, K. (1961) Lattice expansion of kaolin minerals by treatment with potassium acetate: Amer. Mineral. 46, 78–91.Google Scholar
- Wada, K. and Yamada, H. (1968) Hydrazine intercalation-intersalation for differentiation of kaolin minerals from chlorites: Amer. Mineral. 53, 334–339.Google Scholar