Dimepiperate Adsorption and Hydrolysis on Al3+-, Fe3+-, Ca2+-, and Na+-Montmorillonite
The adsorption of the herbicide dimepiperate S-(α;α-dimethylbenzyl)-1-piperidinecarbothioate on homoionic Fe3+-, Al3+-, Ca2+-, and Na+-montmorillonite was studied in aqueous medium. The adsorption is described well by the Freundlich equation. The adsorption capacity decreases in the order Fe3+ > Al3+ > Ca2+ > Na+ clay. The dimepiperate adsorption from chloroform solution was also investigated by analytical, spectroscopic, and X-ray powder diffraction techniques. IR results suggest that the adsorption involves the interaction of the thioester carbonyl group of dimepiperate possibly with the surrounding water of metal ions. On Al3+ and Fe3+ clays, this interaction leads to hydrolysis of the thioester bond and formation of the thiol and carbamic acid derivatives that yield α-methylstyrene and piperidine, respectively.
Key WordsAdsorption Dimepiperate Hydrolysis Infrared spectroscopy Interlayer cations Mont-morillonite Pesticides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonelli, C., Castagna, G., and Domenichini, P. (1986) II dimepiperate: nuovo erbicida per il diserbo del riso, efficace contro il giavone (Eschinocloa crus-galli): Atti Giornate Fitopatologiche 3, 327–36.Google Scholar
- Bellamy, L. J. (1975) The Infrared Spectra of Complex Molecules: Chapman and Hall, London, 231–243.Google Scholar
- Crosby, D. G. (1976) Non biological degradation of herbicides in the soil: in Herbicides, Vol. 2, L. J. Andus, ed., Academic Press, London, 65–97.Google Scholar
- Giles, C. H., McEwan, J. H., Nakhwa, S. N., and Smith, D. (1960) Studies in adsorption. XI. A system of classification of solution adsorption isotherms and its use in diagnosis of adsorption mechanisms and in measurements of specific areas of soils: J. Chem. Soc., 3973–3993.Google Scholar
- Ikeda, K. (1982) Herbicidal property of a thiolcarbamate herbicide MY-93: Shokubutsu no Kagaku Chosetsu 17, 163–9. (C. A. 99, 65795b, 1983).Google Scholar
- Mortland, M. M. (1976) Interactions between clays and organic pollutants: in Proc. Inter. Conf. Mexico City, 1975, S. W. Bailey, ed., Applied Publishing, Wilmette, Illinois, 469–175.Google Scholar
- Tanaka, M. (1984) Dimepiperate (Yucamate, MY-93)anew herbicide for rice: Jpn. Pestic. Inf. 45, 18–20.Google Scholar