Preparation and Characterization of Hydroxy-Feal Pillared Clays
Solutions containing hydroxy-FeAl oligocations (HFA) were prepared by two procedures: (1) treatment of a mixture of FeCl3 and AlCl3 with aqueous Na2CO3, followed by aging of the product and (2) preliminary preparation and aging of hydroxy-Al13 oligocations followed by reaction of the latter with aqueous FeCl3. Ion-exchange of Na-montmorillonite with HFA yield pillared clay (designated as FeAl-PILC) with d(001) values of 1.98–1.56 nm and a surface area of 230 m2/g. The pillar structure, thermal stability, surface acidity, and reduction behavior of the pillared clays were determined by 27Al-NMR, XRD, DTA, Mössbauer spectroscopy, Py-IR, TPD, TPR. Fe/Al ratios greatly affect the pillar structure, surface area and thermal stability of FeAl-PILC. The pillar in FeAl-PILC with Fe/Al ratio <0.5 has a Keggin structure, similar to that of Al-PILC, but the pillar structures of FeAl-PILC with Fe/Al ≥0.5 are the ferric tripolymer species similar to those of Fe-PILC. The basal spacings, surface area, and thermal stability are decreased with increasing Fe/Al ratio. There is relatively strong interaction between Fe and Al in the pillars. The interaction is enhanced with decreasing Fe/Al ratio. Reduction of the Fe phase in FeAl-PILC was reduced by the interaction of Fe with Al.
Key WordsAcidity Hydroxy-FeAl pillars Pillared clay Preparation Stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Shabtai, J. (1980) Cross-linked montmorillonite molecular sieves: U.S. Patent 4,216,188, 6 pp.Google Scholar
- Shabtai, J. and Fijal, J. (1986) A novel class of hydroprocessing catalysts and preparation methods: U.S. Patent 4,579,832, 12 pp.Google Scholar
- Vaughan, D. E. W., Lussier, R. J., and Magee, J. (1979) Pillared interlayered clay materials useful as catalysts and sorbents: U.S. Patent 4,176,090, 7 pp.Google Scholar
- Vaughan, D. E. W. (1987) Multimetallic pillared interlayered clay products and processes of making them: U.S. Patent 4,666,877, 6 pp.Google Scholar
- Zhao, D. Y. (1990) Synthesis and characterization of pillared clays containing mixed-metal complexes: Ph.D. thesis, Jilin University, ChangChun, P. R. China.Google Scholar