Solid-State Intercalation of Naphthalene and Anthracene into Alkylammonium-Montmorillonites
Intercalation of naphthalene and anthracene into alkyltrimethylammonium (CnH2n+1(CH3)3N+; n = 8, 12, 14, 16, and 18)-montmorillonites was carried out by novel solid-solid reactions at room temperature. Octyltrimethylammonium(C8)-montmorillonite did not form an intercalation compound with either naphthalene or anthracene. Naphthalene was intercalated into both dodecyltrimethylammonium(C12)- and octadecyltrimethylammonium(C18)-montmorillonites to give intercalation compounds. On the other hand, the solid-solid reaction between dodecyltrimethylammonium(C12)- or tetradecyltrimethylammonium(C14)-montmorillonite and anthracene gave only partly intercalated compounds while hexadecyltrimethylammonium(C16)- and octadecyltrimethylammonium(C18)-montmorillonites gave single phase intercalation compounds. The hydrophobic interactions between alkylammonium-montmorillonites and the aromatic compounds are thought to be the driving force for the solid-state intercalation. The extent of the increase in the basal spacing may also be involved in the different reactivity.
Key WordsAlkylammonium-montmorillonites Anthracene Intercalation Naphthalene Solid-state intercalation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrer, B. M. (1978) Zeolites and Clay Minerals as Sorbents and Molecular Sieves: Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Cornells, A. and Laszlo, P. (1982) Clay supported reagents: II. Quaternary ammonium exchanged montmorillonite as catalyst in the phase-transfer preparation of symmetrical formaldehyde acetals: Synthesis 162–163.Google Scholar
- Ogawa, M., Kuroda, K., and Kato, C. (1989) Preparation of montmorillonite-organic intercalation compounds by solid-solid reactions: Chem. Lett. 1659–1662.Google Scholar
- Ogawa, M., Kato, K., Kuroda, K., and Kato, C. (1990a) Preparation of montmorillonite-alkylamine intercalation compounds by solid-solid reactions: Clay Sci. 8, 31–36.Google Scholar
- Ogawa, M., Handa, T., Kuroda, K., and Kato, C. (1990b) Formation of organoammonium-montmorillonites by solid-solid reactions: Chem. Lett. 11–74.Google Scholar
- Sugahara, Y., Kuroda, K., and Kato, C. (1984) Synthesis of ß-sialon from a montmorillonite-polyacrylonitrile intercalation compound by carbothermal reduction: J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 67, C-247-C-248.Google Scholar
- Theng, B. K. G. (1974) The Chemistry of Clay-Organic Reactions: Adam Hilger, London.Google Scholar
- Toda, F., Tanaka, K., and Sekikawa, A. (1987) Host-guest complex formation by a solid-solid reaction: J. Chem. Soc, Chem. Commun. 279–280.Google Scholar