Further Consideration of the 29Si Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrum of Kaolinite
The introduction of artificial ±b/3 stacking faults into well-crystallized kaolinite by intercalating and removing hydrazine had no observable effect on the solid-state 29Si nuclear magnetic resonance spectrum of kaolinite. Also, the introduction of such stacking faults did not alter the hydroxyl-stretching region of the infrared spectrum, implying no change in the hydrogen bonding between the displaced layers. Calculations of Si...H distances and Si-O...H angles from reported structures for kaolinite indicated that the resolution of the two Si chemical environments was due to differences in hydrogen-bonding at the surface of the silicate sheet.
Key WordsHydrazine Hydrogen bond Kaolinite Nuclear magnetic resonance Stacking fault
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brindley, G. W. and Robinson, K. (1946) The structure of kaolinite: Mineral. Mag. 27, 242–253.Google Scholar
- Fyfe, C. A., Gobbi, G. C, Murphy, W. J., Ozubko, R. S., and Slack, D. A. (1984) Investigation of the contributions to the 29Si MAS NMR line widths of zeolites and the detection of crystallographically inequivalent sites by the study of highly siliceous zeolites: J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 106, 4435–4438.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hinckley, D. N. (1963) Variability in “crystallinity” values among the kaolin deposits of the coastal plain of Georgia and South Carolina: in Clays and Clay Minerals, Proc. 11th Natl. Conf., Ottawa, Ontario, 1962, Ada Swineford, ed., Pergamon Press, New York, 229–235.Google Scholar
- Oldfield, E., Kinsey, R. A., Smith, K. A., Nichols, J. A., and Kirkpatrick, R. J. (1983) High-resolution NMR of inorganic solids. Influence of magnetic centers on magic-angle sample-spinning lineshapes in some natural aluminosilicates: J. Magn. Reson. 51, 325–329.Google Scholar
- Smith, K. A., Kirkpatrick, R. J., Oldfield, E., and Henderson, D. M. (1983) High-resolution silicon-29 nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic study of rock-forming silicates: Amer. Mineral. 68, 1206–1215.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J. G. and Withers, R. L. (1987) A transmission electron microscopy contribution to the structure of kaolinite: Clays & Clay Minerals (in press).Google Scholar
- Zvyagin, B. B. (1960) Electron diffraction determination of the structure of kaolinite: Sov. Phys. Crystallogr. 5, 32–42.Google Scholar