The Relationship between the I.R. Spectra of Serpentines and Their Structures
Possible assignments are suggested for some of the absorption bands in the 1150–400 cm−1 region of the i.r. spectra of serpentines. Polarized light was used to identify the out-of-plane vibrations in antigorites and platy lizardites and the vibrations parallel to the fibre axis in chrysotiles and fibrous lizardites. An attempt is made to correlate some known structural characteristics and the chemical composition of the serpentines with some features of the i.r. spectra.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aumento, F. (1967) A serpentine mineral showing diverse strain-relief mechanisms: Am. Miner. 52, 1399–1413.Google Scholar
- Brindley, G. W. and Zussman, J. (1959) Infra-red absorption data for serpentine minerals: Am. Miner. 44, 185–188.Google Scholar
- Farmer, V. C. (1958) The infra-red spectra of talc, saponite and hectorite: Min. Mag. 31, 829–845.Google Scholar
- Faust, T. G. and Fahey, J. J. (1962) The serpentine-group minerals: U.S.G.S. Prof. Paper 384-A, 1–92.Google Scholar
- Kunze, G. (1961) Antigorit: Strukturtheoretische Grundlagen und ihre praktische Bedeutung fuer die weitere Serpentin-Forschung: Fortschr. Miner. 39, 206–324.Google Scholar
- Luce, R. W. (1971) Identification of serpentine varieties by infra-red absorption: U.S.G.S. Prof. Paper 750B, 199–201.Google Scholar
- Page, N. J. (1968) Chemical differences among the serpentine ‘polymorphs’: Am. Miner. 53, 201–215.Google Scholar
- Pampuch, R. and Ptak, W. (1968) Pol. Akad. Nauk, Oddzal Krakowie, Pr. Miner. 15, 7.Google Scholar
- Pampuch, R. and Ptak, W. (1970) Pol. Akad. Nauk, Oddizal Krakowie, Pr. Kom. Ceram., Ceram. 14, 7–36.Google Scholar
- Stubican, V. and Roy, R. (1961) Isomorphous substitution and infra-red spectra of layer lattice silicates: Am. Miner. 46, 32–51.Google Scholar
- Veniale, F. and van der Marel, H. V. (1963) An interstrati-fied saponite-swelling chlorite mineral as a weathering product of lizardite rock from St. Margherita Staffora (Pavia Province), Italy: Beitraege zur Mineral, und Petrogr. 9, 198–245.Google Scholar
- Whittaker, E. J. W. and Zussman, J. (1956) The characterization of serpentine minerals by X-ray diffraction. Min. Mag. 31, 107–126.Google Scholar
- Whittaker, E. J. W. and Wicks, F. J. (1970) Chemical differences among the serpentine ‘polymorphs’: A discussion: Am. Miner. 55, 1025–1047.Google Scholar