Variability in “crystallinity” Values among the Kaolin Deposits of the Coastal Plain of Georgia and South Carolina
Quantitative measurement of the relative degree of crystal perfection among 144 samples of Coastal Plain kaolin shows that the deposits are nonhomogeneous with respect to crystallinity and that the hard and soft types can be distinguished at the 0.95 probability level by an analysis of variance. The nonhomogeneity of the deposits and the distinction between the hard and soft types agrees with the results obtained for other properties not reported here. Although on the basis of pulverizing ease there may be a single population with hard and soft end members, in terms of origin the evidence indicates the existence of two distinct clay populations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bates, T. F., and Hinckley, D. N. (1959) Mineralogy and petrology of the kaolin clays of the Piedmont and Coastal Plain regions of southeastern United States: Progress Report, 1 June, 1958-1 June, 1959, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.Google Scholar
- Brindley, G. W. (1951) The kaolin minerals: In “X-ray identification and crystal structures of clay minerals”: Mineralogy Society of Great Britain Monograph, Chap. 2, pp.32–75.Google Scholar
- Brindley, G. W., and Kurtossy, S. S. (1961) Quantitative determination of kaolinite by X-ray diffraction: Amer. Min., v.46, pp.1205–1215.Google Scholar
- Hinckley, D. N. (1961) Mineralogy and petrology of the kaolin clays of the Piedmont and Coastal Plain regions of southeastern United States: Technical Report, The Mineral Industries Experiment Station, College of Mineral Industries, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, Data Appendix A, Sampling plan 3, p. 17.Google Scholar
- Klinefelter, T. A., O’Meara, R. C, Truesdell, G. C., and Gottlieb, S. (1943) Hard and soft kaolins of Georgia: U.S. Bur. Mines Rept. Inv. 3682, 20pp.Google Scholar
- Ladd, G. E. (1898) A preliminary report on a part of the clays of Georgia: Georgia Geo. Survey Bull. 6-A, 203pp.Google Scholar
- Murray, H. H., and Lyons, S. C. (1956) Correlation of paper-coating quality with degree of crystal perfection of kaolinite: in Clays and Clay Minerals, Natl. Res. Council, pub. 456, pp.31–40.Google Scholar
- Quenouille, M. H. (1952) Associated Measurements: Butterworth’s Scientific Publications, London, England, p.37.Google Scholar