Characterization of a white bass (Morone chrysops) embryonic cell line with epithelial features
The genus Morone is an important one for U.S. aquaculture, but there has been no available cell line from this genus. We report here a cell line (the WBE line) derived from white bass embryos that has been grown for more than 80 passages over 21 mo in Dulbecco modified Eagle medium supplemented with fetal bovine serum. The WBE line showed epithelial features with positive immunohistochemical staining for cytokeratin and intercellular junctions when observed by electron microscopy. The doubling time, transformation characteristics, response to cryopreservation, and karyotype were determined. The WBE line was also tested by polymerase chain, reaction to verify the species of origin and to screen for mycoplasma infection. This epithelial cell line may prove useful for the study of host-pathogen interactions that occur at the epithelial surface in this commercially important fish species.
Key wordsteleost electron microscopy cytokeratin staining fish karyotype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crawford, A. M.; Parslow, M.; Sheehan, C. Changes in the karyotype of the cell line DSIR-HA-1179, and a comparison with that of its parent insect, Heteronychus arator (F.) (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidea.). N. Z. J. Zool. 10:405–408; 1983.Google Scholar
- Drexler, H.; Gignac, S. M.; Hu, Z.; Hopert, A.; Fleckenstein, E.; Voges, M.; Uphoff, C. C. Treatment of mycoplasma contamination in a large panel of cell cultures. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 30A:344–347; 1994.Google Scholar
- Driever, W.; Rangini, Z. Characterization of a cell line from zebrafish (Brachydanio rerio) embryos. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 29A:749–754; 1993.Google Scholar
- Fernon, C. A.; Osborne, R. J.; Dall, D. J. Cell lines from the melolonthine scarab Antitrogus parvulus. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 32A:85–89; 1996.Google Scholar
- Franke, W. W.; Jahn, L.; Knapp, A. C. Cytokeratins and desmosomal proteins in certain epithelioid and nonepithelial cells. In: Osborn, M.; Weber, K., ed. Cytoskeletal proteins in tumor diagnosis. (Current communications in molecular biology) New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory; 1989:151–172.Google Scholar
- Harrell, R. M. Striped bass and other Morone culture. New York: Elsevier; 1997.Google Scholar
- Hayat, M. A. Principles and techniques of electron microscopy. Biological applications. Vol. I, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold; 1970.Google Scholar