Clinical Significance of Gross Invasion of Strap Muscles in Patients With 1- to 4-cm-Sized Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Undergoing Lobectomy
- 98 Downloads
Given the emerging evidence supporting the lack of prognostic significance of gross extrathyroidal extension invading only strap muscles (strap-gETE), this study investigated whether lobectomy is feasible for patients with strap-gETE.
A retrospective cohort study was conducted with 636 patients who had 1- to 4-cm-sized papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) treated with thyroid lobectomy. Patients with gross invasion of perithyroidal organs other than strap muscles or synchronous distant metastasis were excluded from the study. Disease-free survival (DFS) was compared according to the presence of strap-gETE.
Strap-gETE was present in 50 patients (7.9%), with the remaining 586 patients (92.1%) showing no evidence of gETE. During the median follow-up period of 7.4 years, 6% of the patients with strap-gETE and 5.1% of the patients without gETE experienced structural persistent/recurrent disease (p = 0.99). No differences in DFS were observed between the two groups (hazard ratio [HR], 1.24; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.38–4.08; p = 0.720). After adjustment for five major risk factors (age, gender, tumor size, multifocality, and cervical lymph node metastasis status) in the multivariate analysis, the presence of strap-gETE did not exhibit an independent role in the development of structural persistent/recurrent disease (HR 1.05; 95% CI 0.24–4.53, p = 0.950).
Strap-gETE did not increase the risk of structural persistent/recurrent disease for the patients who underwent lobectomy for 1- to 4-cm-sized PTC. The study data support the limited role of strap-gETE in clinical outcomes and may broaden the indications for lobectomy for patients with PTCs.
This study was supported by a Grant (No. 2018-790) from the Asan Institute for Life Sciences, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea.
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
- 1.American Joint Committee on Cancer. Thyroid gland. In: Fleming ID, Cooper JS, Henson DE, et al., editors. AJCC manual for staging of cancer. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 1997, p. 59–64.Google Scholar
- 5.Tuttle MR, Morris LF, Haugen BR, et al. Thyroid-differentiated and anaplastic carcinoma. In: Amin MB, Edge SB, Greeme FL, et al., editors. AJCC cancer staging manual. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Springer; 2017, p. 873–890.Google Scholar
- 14.Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, et al. 2015 American Thyroid Association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American Thyroid Association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2016;26:1–133.CrossRefGoogle Scholar