Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer and Other Hereditary Syndromes: Using Technology to Identify Carriers
- 533 Downloads
Purpose and Methods
Most patients who harbor a genetic mutation for hereditary breast cancer have not been identified, despite the availability of genetic testing. Developing an effective approach to the identification of high-risk individuals is the key to preventing and/or providing early diagnosis of cancer in this patient population. This educational review addresses these issues.
Results and Discussion
Using data available on the internet, and making assumptions regarding the types and results of genetic testing, we have estimated the number of mutation carriers in the country and the number who have been tested and identified as such. Overall, our ability to fund and more effectively manage carriers is weak. A technological solution is discussed.
- 2.Crane RM, Raymond B. Fulfilling the potential of clinical information systems. Permanente J. 2003;7:62–7.Google Scholar
- 9.Myriad Genetics Inc. Myriad for professionals. BRCA1 and BRCA2 prevalence tables. https://www.myriadpro.com/bracanalysis-prevalence-tables.
- 10.Statement of the American Society of Clinical Oncology: genetic testing for cancer susceptibility, adopted on February 20, 1996. J Clin Oncol. 1996;14:1730–6.Google Scholar
- 16.American Cancer Society. Breast cancer overview. How many women get breast cancer? http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/overviewguide/breast-cancer-overview-key-statistics.
- 17.Myriad Genetics Inc annual reports (10-K) and quarterly reports (10-Q). http://www.getfilings.com/comp/k0000899923.html.
- 19.Feero WG, Bigley MB, Brinner KM, et al. New standards and enhanced utility for family health history information in the electronic health record: an update from the American health information community’s family health history multi-stakeholder workgroup. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008;15:723–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Health level seven international. ANSI approved standards. http://www.hl7.org/implement/standards/ansiapproved.cfm.
- 21.http://www.hughesriskapps.com. Accessed December 2010