Head and Neck Soft Tissue Sarcomas: A Multivariate Analysis of Outcomes
- 277 Downloads
Soft tissue sarcomas of the head and neck region represent a rare group of tumors of which a limited number of published individual- and institution-based experiences exist.
We performed an analysis of head and neck sarcoma patients identified from our institution between 1973 and 1999. Exclusion criteria included pediatric rhabdomyosarcomas, sarcomas of the neuromeningeal axis or non–head and neck primary disease sites, and bone sarcomas. All cases underwent pathologic re-review before statistical analysis.
After pathologic review, 111 head and neck sarcoma patients remained (mean age, 47 ± 20 years). The median duration of follow-up was 51 months; the actuarial 5-year relapse-free, disease-specific, and overall survivals were 55%, 52%, and 44%, respectively. Forty-six percent remained free of recurrence at the most recent follow-up, and the most common site of recurrence was local followed by distant sites. By multivariate analysis, size and grade significantly influenced relapse-free, disease-specific, and overall survivals, whereas margin status additionally influenced relapse-free survival. Subset analysis of the fibrosarcoma/malignant fibrous histiocytoma and desmoid/dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans histologies was undertaken.
Size >5 cm and high-grade histology are considered poor prognostic indicators. Patients with either of these characteristics should be considered for adjuvant trials.
Key WordsHead and neck Sarcoma Multivariate analysis Retrospective Single institution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Patel SG, Shaha AR, Shah JP. Soft tissue sarcomas of the head and neck: an update. Am J Otolaryngol 2001;22:2–18.Google Scholar
- 2.Hajdu S. Pathology of Soft Tissue Tumors Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.Kaplan EL, Meier P. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 1958;53:457–61.Google Scholar
- 6.Cox D. Regression models and life tables. J R Stat Soc 1972;34:187–220.Google Scholar
- 7.Allen PW, Allen LJ. Perce the permissive pathologist: a cautionary tale of one who misdiagnosed a pseudosarcoma, killed the patient and was found out. Aust N Z J Surg 1994;64:273–4.Google Scholar
- 8.Flens MJ, et al. The contribution of immunocytochemistry in diagnostic cytology. Comparison and evaluation with immunohistology. Cancer 1990;65:2704–11.Google Scholar
- 9.Kraus DH, et al. Prognostic factors for recurrence and survival in head and neck soft tissue sarcomas. Cancer 1994;74:697–702.Google Scholar
- 10.Le QT, et al. Prognostic factors in adult soft-tissue sarcomas of the head and neck. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;37:975–84.Google Scholar
- 11.Kowalski LP, San CI. Prognostic factors in head and neck soft tissue sarcomas: analysis of 128 cases. J Surg Oncol 1994;56:83–8.Google Scholar
- 12.Dijkstra MD, et al. Survival of adult patients with head and neck soft tissue sarcomas. Clin Otolaryngol 1996;21:66–71.Google Scholar
- 13.Dudhat S, et al. Prognostic factors in head and neck soft tissue sarcomas. Cancer 2000;89:868–72.Google Scholar
- 14.Tran LM, et al. Sarcomas of the head and neck. Prognostic factors and treatment strategies. Cancer 1992;70:169–77.Google Scholar
- 15.Stojadinovic A, et al. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the head and neck. Ann Surg Oncol 2000;7:696–704.Google Scholar
- 16.Lewis JJ, Benedetti F. Adjuvant therapy for soft tissue sarcomas. Surg Oncol Clin North Am 1997;6:847–62.Google Scholar
- 19.Pisters PW, et al. A prospective randomized trial of adjuvant brachytherapy in the management of low-grade soft tissue sarcomas of the extremity and superficial trunk. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:1150–5.Google Scholar
- 20.Weber RS, et al. Soft tissue sarcomas of the head and neck in adolescents and adults. Am J Surg 1986;152:386–92.Google Scholar
- 21.Greager JA, et al. Soft tissue sarcomas of the adult head and neck. Cancer 1985;56:820–4.Google Scholar
- 22.Farhood AI, et al. Soft tissue sarcomas of the head and neck in adults. Am J Surg 1990;160:365–9.Google Scholar
- 23.Wanebo HJ, et al. Head and neck sarcoma: report of the Head and Neck Sarcoma Registry. Society of Head and Neck Surgeons Committee on Research. Head Neck 1992;14:1–7.Google Scholar
- 24.Eeles RA, et al. Head and neck sarcomas: prognostic factors and implications for treatment. Br J Cancer 1993;68:201–7.Google Scholar
- 25.Le Vay J, et al. An assessment of prognostic factors in soft-tissue sarcoma of the head and neck. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1994;120:981–6.Google Scholar
- 26.Willers H, et al. Adult soft tissue sarcomas of the head and neck treated by radiation and surgery or radiation alone: patterns of failure and prognostic factors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995;33:585–93.Google Scholar