Preparation and Characterization of Honokiol Nanosuspensions and Preliminary Evaluation of Anti-Inflammatory Effect
- 23 Downloads
The study mainly aimed to improve the solubility of honokiol (HK) by preparing honokiol nanosuspensions (HNS). In this study, HNS were obtained using Kolliphor®P407 (P407) as a stabilizer through melting method combined with high pressure homogenization (HPH). The crystalline state of HNS was confirmed through differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and X-ray Diffraction (XRD). In vitro, the dissolution rate of HNS was significantly improved than that of pure HK. In vivo, higher anti-inflammatory activity was achieved after free HK had been made into HNS. There was no significant difference between the degree of edema (DE) of HNS group and that of aspirin group. Consequently, melting method combined with HPH was a potent technique to prepare HNS. Furthermore, nanosuspension was a valid formulation that could be utilized to enhance the anti-inflammatory effect of HK.
KEY WORDShonokiol nanosuspensions melting method high pressure homogenization anti-inflammatory activity
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81673830), six talent peaks project of Jiangsu Province (YY053), Major Project and Double first -class innovative team (CPU2018GY28), and National Science and Technology Major Project (2017zx09101001005).
- 2.Huang DB, Yu ZF. Effects of honokiol and magnolol on beta-endorphin in relieving morphine withdrawal symptoms in rats. Chin J Clin Rehabil. 2005;2(9):831–2.Google Scholar
- 16.Lin Z, Gao W, Hu H, Ma K, He B, Dai W, et al. Novel thermo-sensitive hydrogel system with paclitaxel nanocrystals: high drug-loading, sustained drug release and extended local retention guaranteeing better efficacy and lower toxicity. J Control Release. 2014;174(1):161–70.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Ji Y, Zhou X, Guo R, Nie F, Wang X. Honokiol nanosuspensions: preparation, in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Acta Pharm Sin. 2018;29(1):133–40.Google Scholar
- 24.Zheng H, Yu X, Li Z. Preparation of honokiol nanoparticles with high drug-loading and their premilinary antitumor efficacy. Drug Eval Res. 2015;38(3):292–6.Google Scholar
- 25.Wu W, Wang L, Wang L, Zu Y, Wang S, Liu P, et al. Preparation of honokiol nanoparticles by liquid antisolvent precipitation technique, characterization, pharmacokinetics, and evaluation of inhibitory effect on HepG2 cells. Int J Nanomedicine. 2018;13:5469–83.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Byung Hun K, Jae YC. Anti-inflammatory effect of honokiol is mediated by PI3K/Akt pathway suppression 1. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2010;29(1):113–22.Google Scholar