Nano-lipid Complex of Rutin: Development, Characterisation and In Vivo Investigation of Hepatoprotective, Antioxidant Activity and Bioavailability Study in Rats
- 71 Downloads
The current study was aimed to develop an amphiphilic drug-lipid nano-complex of rutin:egg phosphatidylcholine (EPC) to enhance its poor absorption and bioavailability, and investigated the impact of the complex on hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity. Rutin nano-complexes were prepared by solvent evaporation, salting out and lyophilisation methods and compared for the complex formation. For the selected lyophilisation method, principal solvent DMSO, co-solvent (t-butyl alcohol) and rutin:EPC ratios (1:1, 1:2 and 1:3) were selected after optimisation. The properties of the nano-complexes such as complexation, thermal behaviour, surface morphology, molecular crystallinity, particle size, zeta potential, drug content, solubility, in vitro stability study, in vitro drug release, in vitro and in vivo antioxidant study, in vivo hepatoprotective activity and oral bioavailability/pharmacokinetic studies were investigated. Rutin nano-complexes were developed successfully via the lyophilisation method and found to be in nanometric range. Rutin nano-complexes significantly improved the solubility and in vitro drug release, and kinetic studies confirmed the diffusion-controlled release of the drug from the formulation. The nano-complex showed better antioxidant activity in vitro and exhibited well in vitro stability in different pH media. The in vivo study showed better hepatoprotective activity of the formulation compared to pure rutin at the same dose levels with improved oral bioavailability. Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-treated animals (group II) failed to restore the normal levels of serum hepatic marker enzymes and liver antioxidant enzyme compared to the nano-complex-treated animals. The results obtained from solubility, hepatoprotective activity and oral bioavailability studies proved the better efficacy of the nano-complex compared to the pure drug.
KEY WORDSantioxidant bioavailability hepatoprotective lyophilisation rutin
The authors acknowledge Nitte (Deemed to be University), Mangaluru, Karnataka, India, for providing the facilities to carry out this work. The authors are also thankful to Lipoid®, GmbH, Germany, for providing the EPC (Lipoid® E 80 S) as a gift sample for this research work. Facilities provided towards the research work by Mangalore University, National Institute of Technology, Karnataka (NITK) and Manipal Academy of Higher Education are also gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Di Perri T, Auteri A. Action of s 5682 on the complement system. In vitro and in vivo study. Int Angiol. 1988;7(2 Suppl):11–5 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3183451.
- 3.Dung TD, Day CH, Binh TV, Lin CH, Hsu HH, Su CC, et al. PP2A mediates diosmin p53 activation to block HA22T cell proliferation and tumor growth in xenografted nude mice through PI3K-Akt-MDM2 signaling suppression. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50(5):1802–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.01.
- 9.Ravi G, Chandur V, Shabaraya A, Sanjay K. Phytosomes: an advanced herbal drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Res Bio-Sci. 2015;4(3):415–32 Available from: http://www.ijprbs.com/issuedocs/2015/6/IJPRBS%201078.pdf.
- 17.Khan MS, Krishnaraj K. Phospholipids: a novel adjuvant in herbal drug delivery systems. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst. 2014;31(5):407–28. https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevTherDrugCarrierSyst.2014010634.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Maiti K, Mukherjee K, Gantait A, Nazeer Ahamed H, Saha BP, KumarMukherjee P. Enhanced therapeutic benefit of quercetinphospholipid complex in carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injury in rats: a comparative study. Iran J Pharmacol Ther. 2005;4(2):84–90 Available from: http://www.bioline.org.br/pdf?pt05019.
- 23.Dhase AS, Saboo SS. Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes containing methanolic extract of leaves of Aegle marmelos (Bael). Int J PharmTech Res. 2015;8(6):231–40 Available from: http://sphinxsai.com/2015/ph_vol8_no6/2/(231-240)V8N6PT.pdf.Google Scholar
- 27.Ravi, Chandur V, Shabaraya R, Sanjay. Design and characterization of phytosomal nano carriers for enhanced rutin delivery. Am J PharmTech Res. 2015;5(4):483–95 Available from: https://ajptr.com/archive/volume-5/august-2015-issue-4/54040.html.Google Scholar
- 32.Jamuna S, Paulsamy S, Karthika K. Screening of in vitro antioxidant activity of methanolic leaf and root extracts of hypochaeris radicata L. (Asteraceae). J Appl Pharm Sci. 2012;2(7):149–54 Available from: http://www.japsonline.com/admin/php/uploads/563_pdf.pdf.Google Scholar
- 33.Maiti K, Mukherjee K, Murugan V, Saha BP, Mukherjee PK. Exploring the effect of hesperetin-HSPC complex—a novel drug delivery system on the in vitro release, therapeutic efficacy and pharmacokinetics. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2009;10(3):943–50. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-009-9282-6.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 34.Zhang K, Zhang M, Liu Z, Zhang Y, Gu L, Hu G, et al. Development of quercetin-phospholipid complex to improve the bioavailability and protection effects against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in SD rats. Fitoterapia. 2016;113:102–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2016.07.008.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Sweetman SC. Martindale: the complete drug reference. 36th ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press; 2009.Google Scholar
- 40.Telang DR, Patil AT, Pethe AM, Tatode AA, Anand S, Dave VS. Kaempferol-phospholipid complex: formulation, and evaluation of improved solubility, in vivo bioavailability, and antioxidant potential of kaempferol. J Excipients and Food Chem. 2016;7(4):89–116 Available from: http://fisherpub.sjfc.edu/pharmacy_facpub.
- 43.Kemp W. Organic spectroscopy. In: Infrared spectroscopy. 3rd ed. New York: Palgrave; 1991. p. 19–99. Available from: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bfm%3A978-1-349-15203-2%2F1.pdf.Google Scholar
- 44.Georgeta S, Pana PI, Tunde H, Sanda B. The isolation and identification of rutin from pharmaceutical products. Analele Univ Din Oradea Fasc Ecotoxicologie, Zooteh Si Tehnol Ind Aliment. 2016:109–13 Available from: https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/20173102478.
- 47.Telange DR, Patil AT, Pethe AM, Fegade H, Anand S, Dave VS. Formulation and characterization of an apigenin-phospholipid phytosome (APLC) for improved solubility, in vivo bioavailability, and antioxidant potential. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2017;108:36–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2016.12.009.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 49.Wu Y, Wang F, Zheng Q, Lu L, Yao H, Zhou C, et al. Hepatoprotective effect of total flavonoids from Laggera alata against carbon tetrachloride-induced injury in primary cultured neonatal rat hepatocytes and in rats with hepatic damage. J Biomed Sci. 2006;13(4):569–78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11373-006-9081-y.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 56.Amić A, Lučić B, Stepanić V, Marković Z, Marković S, Dimitrić Marković JM, et al. Free radical scavenging potency of quercetin catecholic colonic metabolites: thermodynamics of 2H + /2e− processes. Food Chem. 2017;218:144–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.09.018.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar