Therapeutic Effect of a Novel Nano-Drug Delivery System on Membranous Glomerulonephritis Rat Model Induced by Cationic Bovine Serum
- 91 Downloads
In order to explore a novel high efficacy drug delivery system for membranous glomerulonephritis (MGN), a complex chronic inflammation, methylprednisolone bovine serum albumin nanoparticles (ME BSA NPs) were designed. The nanoparticles were prepared by desolvation—chemical crosslinking method and its physicochemical characterizations were conducted. The experimental MGN rat models induced by cationic bovine serum albumin were established by a modified Border’s method and applied in the pharmacodynamics study of ME BSA NPs. The results showed that the particle size, particle dispersion index, and entrapment efficiency of ME BSA NPs were 131.1 ± 3.4 nm, 0.159 ± 0.036, and 71.51 ± 1.74%, respectively. In addition, the image of transmission electron microscopy showed that the ME BSA NPs were the relatively uniform spherical particles. In the in vivo pharmacodynamics study, compared with saline group and SOLU-MEDROL® group, that the ME BSA NPs group was significantly reduced the levels of 24 h urinary protein (P < 0.01) and serum creatinine (P < 0.05). Consequently, these outcomes indicated that the nanoparticles we studied were a promising drug delivery system for the MGN disease, and it may be also useful for other complex chronic inflammations.
KEY WORDSbovine serum albumin nanoparticle methylprednisolone membranous glomerulonephritis chronic inflammation pharmacodynamics study
This study was supported by the program of supporting career development of young and middle-aged teachers from Shenyang Pharmaceutical University (ZQN2015011).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Buraczynska M, Jozwiak L, Ksiazek P, Borowicz E, Mierzicki P. Interleukin-6 gene polymorphism and faster progression to end-stage renal failure in chronic glomerulonephritis. Translational research: the journal of laboratory and clinical medicine. 2007;150(2):101–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trsl.2007.03.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Song J, Wang Y, Liu C, Huang Y, He L, Cai X, et al. Cordyceps militaris fruit body extract ameliorates membranous glomerulonephritis by attenuating oxidative stress and renal inflammation via the NF-kappaB pathway. Food Funct. 2016;7(4):2006–15. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5fo01017a.
- 11.He Y, Yi W, Suino-Powell K, Zhou XE, Tolbert WD, Tang X, et al. Structures and mechanism for the design of highly potent glucocorticoids. Cell Res. 2014;24(6):713–26. https://doi.org/10.1038/cr.2014.52.
- 14.Schäcke H, Döcke WD, Asadullah K. Mechanisms involved in the side effects of glucocorticoids. Pharmacol Ther. 2002;96(1):23–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7258(02)00297-8.
- 18.Hsu LC, Enzler T, Seita J, Timmer AM, Lee CY, Lai TY, et al. IL-1beta-driven neutrophilia preserves antibacterial defense in the absence of the kinase IKKbeta. Nat Immunol. 2011;12(2):144–50. https://doi.org/10.1038/ni.1976.
- 23.Yedomon B, Fessi H, Charcosset C. Preparation of bovine serum albumin (BSA) nanoparticles by desolvation using a membrane contactor: a new tool for large scale production. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics: official journal of Arbeitsgemeinschaft fur Pharmazeutische Verfahrenstechnik eV. 2013;85(3 Pt a):398–405. https://doi.org/10.1016/jejpb.2013.06.014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Crouser ED, Shao G, Julian MW, Macre JE, Shadel GS, Tridandapani S, et al. Monocyte activation by necrotic cells is promoted by mitochondrial proteins and formyl peptide receptors. Crit Care Med. 2009;37(6):2000–9. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181a001ae.
- 27.Kobayashi M, M K, Yoh K, Kondoh M, Iwabuchi S, Hirayama K, et al. Effects of FK506 on experimental membranous glomerulonephritis induced by cationized bovine serum albumin in rats. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1998;13(10):2501–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/13.10.2501.
- 28.Zhang S, Xin H, Li Y, Zhang D, Shi J, Yang J, et al. Skimmin, a coumarin from Hydrangea paniculata, slows down the progression of membranous glomerulonephritis by anti-inflammatory effects and inhibiting immune complex deposition. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med: eCAM. 2013;2013:819296. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/819296.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Hoshino Y, K H, Furuya K, Haberaecker WW, Lee SH, Kodama T, et al. The rational design of a synthetic polymer nanoparticle that neutralizes a toxic peptide in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109(1):33–8. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1112828109.