Article processing charges, funding, and open access publishing at Journal of Experimental & Clinical Assisted Reproduction
- 5.2k Downloads
Journal of Experimental & Clinical Assisted Reproduction is an Open Access, online, electronic journal published by BioMed Central with full contents available to the scientific and medical community free of charge to all readers. Authors maintain the copyright to their own work, a policy facilitating dissemination of data to the widest possible audience without requiring permission from the publisher. This Open Access publishing model is subsidized by authors (or their institutions/funding agencies) in the form of a single £330 article processing charge (APC), due at the time of manuscript acceptance for publication. Payment of the APC is not a condition for formal peer review and does not apply to articles rejected after review. Additionally, this fee is waived for authors whose institutions are BioMed Central members or where genuine financial hardship exists. Considering ordinary publication fees related to page charges and reprints, the APC at Journal of Experimental & Clinical Assisted Reproduction is comparable to costs associated with publishing in some traditional print journals, and is less expensive than many. Implementation of the APC within this Open Access framework is envisioned as a modern research-friendly policy that supports networking among investigators, brings new research into reach rapidly, and empowers authors with greater control over their own scholarly publications.
- 1.BioMed Central Open Access Charter. [http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/charter]
- 2.Tamber PS: Is scholarly publishing becoming a monopoly?. BMC News and Views. 2000, 1: 1-Google Scholar
- 3.PubMed Central. [http://www.pubmedcentral.org]
- 4.e-Depot. [http://www.kb.nl/]
- 5.Potsdam. [http://www.uni-potsdam.de/over/homegd.htm]
- 6.INIST. [http://www.inist.fr/index_en.php]
- 9.Bethesda Statement on Open Access Publishing. [http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/Bethesda.htm]
- 10.BioMed Central Institutional Members. [http://www.biomedcentral.com/inst/]
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.