ORTHO-selective phenol methylation over iron-magnesium oxide catalysts
- 51 Downloads
Alkylation of phenol to ORTHO-cresol and 2,6-xylenol with methanol in the presence of iron and iron-magnesium oxide catalysts was investigated. The catalysts displayed high activity and stability. Addition of magnesium oxide to the iron catalyst increases its selectivity towards C-alkylation in ortho-position. It was found that the active phase in the investigated catalysts is highly dispersed magnetite or mixed spinel of Fe(MgFe)O4 type. It is noticed that if Fe+2 ions are replaced by Mg+2 ions in the spinel the basicity of the bifunctional catalyst is augmented, increasing ortho-selectivity of alkylation.
KeywordsMagnetite Anisole Fresh Catalyst Xylenol Iron Catalyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.-G. Franc and J.W. Stadelhofer, Industrial Aromatic Chemistry. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg, 171, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Takami and T. Sato, Jpn. Kokai., 7, 549, 236, (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Kawamata, K. Oshima, A. Kudo, and M. Kotani, Jpn. Kokai., 79, 100, 330 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Bialy, I. Penczek, N. Kopytowska, J. Wrzyszcz, and S. Kulak, Polish Patent. 105, 922 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Grabowska, W. Kaczmarczyk, and J. Wrzyszcz, Appl. Catal., 47, 351 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Grabowska, W. Kaczmarczyk, and J. Wrzyszcz, Polish Patent 159, 203 (1993).Google Scholar
- 12.K. Tanabe, T. Nishizaki, in G.C. Bond, P.B. Wells, F.C. Tompkins (Eds.), Proc. 6th Intern. Congr. Catal., London, 12, 863 (1977).Google Scholar
- 13.K. Tanabe, in M.J. Philips, M. Ternan (Eds.), Proc. 9th Intern. Congr. Catal., Calgary, 5, 85 (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.H. Kurokawa, W. Ueda, Y. Moro-Oka, T. Ikawa, in Heterogenous Catalysis and Fine Chemicals, Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, 41, M. Guisnet (Ed.), Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, 299 (1988).Google Scholar