Improving a Single Down-Sampled Image Using Probability-Filtering-Based Interpolation and Improved Poisson Maximum A Posteriori Super-Resolution
- 977 Downloads
We present a novel hybrid scheme called "hyper-resolution" that integrates image probability-filtering-based interpolation and improved Poisson maximum a posteriori (MAP) super-resolution to respectively enhance high spatial and spatial-frequency resolutions of a single down-sampled image. A new approach to interpolation is proposed for simultaneous image interpolation and smoothing by exploiting the probability filter coupled with a pyramidal decomposition and the Poisson MAP super-resolution is improved with the techniques of edge maps and pseudo-blurring. Simulation results demonstrate that this hyper-resolution scheme substantially improves the quality of a single gray-level, color, or noisy image, respectively.
KeywordsColor Information Technology Quantum Information Noisy Image Hybrid Scheme
- 5.Liu C, Shum H-Y, Zhang C-S: A two-step approach to hallucinating faces: global parametric model and local nonparametric model. Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '01), December 2001, Kauai, Hawaii, USA 1: I-192–I-198.Google Scholar
- 6.Baker S, Kanade T: Limits on super-resolution and how to break them. Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '00), June 2000, Hilton Head Island, SC, USA 2: 372–379.Google Scholar
- 11.Gurski GC, Orchard MT, Hull AW: Optimal linear filters for pyramidal decomposition. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '92), March 1992, San Francisco, Calif, USA 4: 633–636.Google Scholar
- 14.Li X, Orchard MT: New edge directed interpolation. Proceedings of International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '00), September 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 2: 311–314.Google Scholar
- 15.Ayazifar B, Lim JS: PEL-adaptive model-based interpolation of spatially subsampled images. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '92), March 1992, San Francisco, Calif, USA 3: 181–184.Google Scholar
- 16.Hunt BR, Sementilli PJ: Description of a Poisson imagery super-resolution algorithm. In Astronomical Data Analysis Software and System I. Volume 25. Edited by: Worrall DM, Biemserfer C, Barnes J. Astronomical Society of the Pacific, San Francisco, Calif, USA; 1992:196–199.Google Scholar
- 22.Pan M-C, Lettington AH: Smoothing images by a probability filter. Proceedings of IEEE International Joint Symposia on Intelligence and Systems (IJSIS '98), May 1998, Rockville, Md, USA 343–346.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.