Particle Filtering Algorithms for Tracking a Maneuvering Target Using a Network of Wireless Dynamic Sensors
- 736 Downloads
We investigate the problem of tracking a maneuvering target using a wireless sensor network. We assume that the sensors are binary (they transmit '1' for target detection and '0' for target absence) and capable of motion, in order to enable the tracking of targets that move over large regions. The sensor velocity is governed by the tracker, but subject to random perturbations that make the actual sensor locations uncertain. The binary local decisions are transmitted over the network to a fusion center that recursively integrates them in order to sequentially produce estimates of the target position, its velocity, and the sensor locations. We investigate the application of particle filtering techniques (namely, sequential importance sampling, auxiliary particle filtering and cost-reference particle filtering) in order to efficiently perform data fusion, and propose new sampling schemes tailored to the problem under study. The validity of the resulting algorithms is illustrated by means of computer simulations.
KeywordsSensor Network Wireless Sensor Network Particle Filter Target Detection Data Fusion
- 3.Zhao F, Guibas L: Wireless Sensor Networks. Morgan Kaufman, New York, NY, USA; 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.Doherty L, Warneke BA, Boser BE, Pister KSJ: Energy and performance considerations for smart dust. International Journal of Parallel and Distributed Systems and Networks 2001, 4(3):121–133.Google Scholar
- 7.Savvides A, Girod L, Srivastava MB, Estrin D: Localization in sensor networks. In Wireless Sensor Networks. Edited by: Raghavendra CS, Sivalingham KM, Znati T. Kluwer Academic, Boston, Mass, USA; 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Ihler AT, Fisher JW III, Moses RL, Willsky AS: Nonparametric belief propagation for self-calibration in sensor networks. Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN '04), April 2004, Berkeley, Calif, USA 225–233.Google Scholar
- 10.Artés-Rodríguez A: Decentralized detection in sensor networks using range information. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '04), May 2004, Montreal, Quebec, Canada 2: 265–268.Google Scholar
- 11.Míguez J, Bugallo MF, Djurić PM: Decision fusion for distributed target tracking using cost reference particle filtering. Proceedings of 13th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO '05), September 2005, Antalya, TurkeyGoogle Scholar
- 12.Djurić PM, Vemula M, Bugallo MF, Míguez J: Non-cooperative localization of binary sensors. Proceedings of 13th IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing (SSP '05), July 2005, Bordeaux, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 19.Douc R, Cappé O, Moulines E: Comparison of resampling schemes for particle filtering. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis (ISPA '05), September 2005, Zagreb, Croatia 64–69.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.