Knowledge-Aided STAP Processing for Ground Moving Target Indication Radar Using Multilook Data
- 758 Downloads
Knowledge-aided space-time adaptive processing (KASTAP) using multiple coherent processing interval (CPI) radar data is described. The approach is based on forming earth-based clutter reflectivity maps to provide improved knowledge of clutter statistics in nonhomogeneous terrain environments. The maps are utilized to calculate predicted clutter covariance matrices as a function of range. Using a data set provided under the DARPA knowledge-aided sensor signal processing and expert reasoning (KASSPER) Program, predicted distributed clutter statistics are compared to measured statistics to verify the accuracy of the approach. Robust STAP weight vectors are calculated using a technique that combines covariance tapering, adaptive estimation of gain and phase corrections, knowledge-aided prewhitening, and eigenvalue rescaling. Techniques to suppress large discrete returns, expected in urban areas, are also described. Several performance metrics are presented, including signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) loss, target detections and false alarms, receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curves, and tracking performance. The results show more than an order of magnitude reduction in false alarm density when compared to standard STAP processing.
KeywordsRadar False Alarm Tracking Performance Radar Data Phase Correction
- 2.Melvin WL, Guerci JR, Callahan MJ, Wicks MC: Design of adaptive detection algorithms for surveillance radar. Proceedings of Record of the IEEE 2000 International Radar Conference, May 2000, Alexandria, Va, USA 608–613.Google Scholar
- 3.Ward J: Space-time adaptive processing for airborne radar. In Tech. Rep. F19628-95-C-0002. MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Lexington, Mass, USA; 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.DiPietro RC: Extended factored space-time processing for airborne radar systems. Proceedings of 26th IEEE Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, October 1992, Pacific Grove, Calif, USA 1: 425–430.Google Scholar
- 7.Bergin JS, Guerci JR, Techau PM, Teixeira CM: Space-time beamforming with knowledge-aided constraints. Proceedings of 11th Workshop on Adaptive Sensor Array Processing (ASAP '03), March 2003, Lexington, Mass, USAGoogle Scholar
- 8.Bergin JS, Teixeira CM, Techau PM, Guerci JR: STAP with knowledge-aided data pre-whitening. Proceedings of IEEE Radar Conference, April 2004, Philadelphia, Pa, USA 289–294.Google Scholar
- 9.High-Fidelity Site-Specific Radar Simulation: KASSPER Data Set 2 Information Systems Laboratories, Inc., October 2002Google Scholar
- 11.Novak L: New results in UHF/VHF SAR change detection. In CCC&D FOPEN Workshop. MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Lexington, Mass, USA; 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Skolnik MI (Ed): Radar Handbook. 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA; 1990. Section 17.2Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.