Complexity and dynamics of topological and community structure in complex networks
- First Online:
- 74 Downloads
Complexity is highly susceptible to variations in the network dynamics, reflected on its underlying architecture where topological organization of cohesive subsets into clusters, system’s modular structure and resulting hierarchical patterns, are cross-linked with functional dynamics of the system. Here we study connection between hierarchical topological scales of the simplicial complexes and the organization of functional clusters – communities in complex networks. The analysis reveals the full dynamics of different combinatorial structures of q-th-dimensional simplicial complexes and their Laplacian spectra, presenting spectral properties of resulting symmetric and positive semidefinite matrices. The emergence of system’s collective behavior from inhomogeneous statistical distribution is induced by hierarchically ordered topological structure, which is mapped to simplicial complex where local interactions between the nodes clustered into subcomplexes generate flow of information that characterizes complexity and dynamics of the full system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.E.J. Newman, Networks: An Introduction (Oxford University Press, 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.M. Buchanan, Nexus (Norton, NewYork, 2002)Google Scholar
- 17.J.R. Munkres, Simplices, in Elements of Algebraic Topology (Perseus Books Pub., New York, 1993)Google Scholar
- 18.B. Eckmann, Commentarii Math. Helvetici 7, 240 (1954)Google Scholar
- 19.T.J. Moore, R.J. Drost, P. Basu, R. Ramanathan, A. Swami, in Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS) (IEEE, 2012), p. 238Google Scholar
- 26.M. Cao, C.W. Wu, in IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and System, ISCAS 2007 (IEEE, 2007), p. 1029Google Scholar
- 32.A. Hatcher, Agebraic Topology (Cambridge University Press, 2002)Google Scholar
- 33.A. Baryshnikova, M. Costanzo, C. L. Myers, B. Andrews, C. Boone, Annual review of genomics and human genetics 14, 111 (2013)Google Scholar
- 34.A. Baryshnikova, http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/project.cfm?id=933