Broadband vibration energy harvesting by application of stochastic resonance from rotational environments
- 360 Downloads
A model for energy harvesting from a rotating automotive tyre is suggested in which the principle of stochastic resonance is advantageously exploited. A bistable response characteristic is obtained by recourse a small harvester comprising a magnetically repellant configuration in which an instrumented cantilever beam can flip between two physical response states when suitably excited by the rotation of a car wheel into which it is fitted. The rotation of the wheel creates a periodic modulation which enables stochastic resonance to take place and as a consequence of this for energy to be harvested from road noise transmitted through the tyre. An optimised mathematical model of the system is presented based on a series of experimental tests and it is shown that a ten-fold increase in harvested energy over a comparable monostable case is feasible. The suggested application for this harvester is to provide electrical power for a tyre pressure monitoring system.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Cantilever Beam Energy Harvester Stochastic Resonance Instantaneous Power
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H. Fang, J. Liu, Z. Xu, L. Dong, L. Wang, D. Chen, B. Cai, Y. Liu, J. Sound Vib. 37, 11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.S. Hashimoto, Y. Zhang, N. Nagai, Y. Fujikara, J. Takahashi, S. Kumagai, M. Kasai, K. Suto, H. Okada, W. Jiang, in Proceedings of the IEEE-ISIE (Taiwan, 2013), p. 1Google Scholar
- 6.H. Kim, S. Priya, H. Stephanou, K. Uchino, IEEE Trans. Ultrason Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 54, 9 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.H.A. Sodano, G.E. Simmers, R. Dereux, D.J. Inman, J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str. 18, 1 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.S. Priya, D.J. Inman, Energy Harvesting Technologies, 1st edn. (Springer, Berlin, 2009)Google Scholar
- 15.F. Orfei, I. Neri, H. Vocca, L. Gammaitoni, in Proceedings of the ASME 2014 International Design Engineering Technical Conference & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (New York, 2014)Google Scholar
- 18.M. Lohndorf, T. Kvisteroy, E. Westby, E. Halvorsen, in Proceedings of PowerMEMS 2007 (Freiburg, 2007), p. 331Google Scholar
- 22.B.P. Mann, B.A. Owens, J. Sound Vib. 329, 9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 23.D. Su, K. Nakano, R. Zheng, M.P. Cartmell, Proc IMechE Part C – J. Mechanical Engineering Science, doi: 10.1177/0954406214563736 (2014)Google Scholar
- 24.Y. Zhang, R. Zheng, K. Nakano, M.P. Cartmell, in Proceedings of Korea – Japan Symposium on Dynamics and Control 2015 (Busan, 2015)Google Scholar